Anyone got a 3 or 5 series BMW. about 4 years old?

That is the sort of comment someone that doesn't own a "premium car" makes. I am a Volvo man myself, when I compare reliability/repairs with other cars I have driven than it is indestructible. Also own a Jazz and despite it being a Honda I have more frequent problems with that than I ever have with the V70.

---------- Post added 02-07-2014 at 10:48 ----------

Vredestein :) yeah, they are definitely considered premium in the Netherlands. Run-flats are a massive pain, they make the ride much harder/noisier.

It's the politics of envy - if they can't afford something people justify their non ownership by saying "oh its so expensive etc" thus rationalising their choice not to have one...

Thanks Obelix, that's all really really helpful.

I can have a 114d as a company car and believe you can easily chip the to the same as the 116d. Still a bit too small tho and the 116d isn;t exactly powerful! We can only have the standard model as well. Would still like to give one a drive though as it would save me the hassle and risks of buying another car. The allowance is OK, unless something major goes wrong!

I have been looking at the 330d. All quite expensive still at four years old. The 320's are so much cheaper!

When you say your 330 averaged 46mpg, it that accross the board on the trip computer? What did it do at 70 on the motorway? I know I will loose out round town, but long trips will claw it back.

Thanks again

:)

---------- Post added 03-07-2014 at 17:26 ----------

Hi Obelix,

Whats the score the the 325d? Seems to be 3l but slightly slower with no saving on fuel?

---------- Post added 03-07-2014 at 17:31 ----------

One more question!

Is the effecient Dynamics 320 just tuned down to keep the tax low? It also claims 69mpg combined... Guessing you could have it re-mapped, still pay 20quid tax but get better performance..

Edited by neeeeeeeeeek

best diesel and BM i have ever had,530d sport for sale, 40-50+ mpg, stunning performance, fully loaded sat nav , heated leather etc etc, plenty of boot space great for motorways.

the 3 series are really underpowered imo, this is 08 72k miles full BMWSH from new sytner.

pm if interested.

3 series under powered? You keep kidding yourself ha ha!

Ive had 3 series bmw diesels all the way through since the 325TDS to e46 320 and e46 330d the e90 320D and 330d more recently and not a single one of the 330D has been underpowered. Some people do talk some crap!

All the bmw diesels will easily stay above 40 mpg although with an auto box you can minus about 5 mpg.

The 330's will do between 40-50 mpg and the 320's another 10 mpg on top of that.Of course theres more to be had or less depending on how and where its driven but they are pretty good guides.

3 series under powered? You keep kidding yourself ha ha!

Ive had 3 series bmw diesels all the way through since the 325TDS to e46 320 and e46 330d the e90 320D and 330d more recently and not a single one of the 330D has been underpowered. Some people do talk some crap!

All the bmw diesels will easily stay above 40 mpg although with an auto box you can minus about 5 mpg.

The 330's will do between 40-50 mpg and the 320's another 10 mpg on top of that.Of course theres more to be had or less depending on how and where its driven but they are pretty good guides.

i meant the 320 s , which are underpowered i have also had the 330d sport which was very good and more than enough performance, and just for your info for you have had bms for 20 odd years, thanks!330d sport 325 sport, Alpina B10s and B3 s and others 535,s so do know what i am talking about thanks:roll: so wind ya neck in:roll: or maybe th 320 scared you:hihi:

tzijlstra

"That is the sort of comment someone that doesn't own a "premium car" makes. I am a Volvo man myself, when I compare reliability/repairs with other cars I have driven than it is indestructible. Also own a Jazz and despite it being a Honda I have more frequent problems with that than I ever have with the V70."

Volvos are an old man's car and cheap to repair.

Obelix

"I'll take that with a large pinch of salt considering your "expertise" about photos."

What photos?? Keep up sister.

tzijlstra

"That is the sort of comment someone that doesn't own a "premium car" makes. I am a Volvo man myself, when I compare reliability/repairs with other cars I have driven than it is indestructible. Also own a Jazz and despite it being a Honda I have more frequent problems with that than I ever have with the V70."

Obelix

"I'll take that with a large pinch of salt considering your "expertise" about photos."

I have to admit that I am knocking on 70 but I don't feel like I'm ready for a Volvo yet:hihi:

Sorry Tim.

tzijlstra

Obelix

I have to admit that I am knocking on 70 but I don't feel like I'm ready for a Volvo yet:hihi:

Sorry Tim.

As you can tell from my other posts here, I don't really give a toss about what other people think. All I know is that 240 bhp with a huge load lugging ability and a lovely smooth auto is preferable to anything I have driven.

As you can tell from my other posts here, I don't really give a toss about what other people think. All I know is that 240 bhp with a huge load lugging ability and a lovely smooth auto is preferable to anything I have driven.

Ok but it is not a premium car!!!

Thanks Obelix, that's all really really helpful.

I can have a 114d as a company car and believe you can easily chip the to the same as the 116d.

Possibly. There is significant difference between the ancillories - the 116d for example runs a lower injector pressure, and a lower boost pressure than the 118/120d The 123d has twin turbos as well.. it's not just a chip swap. I'm not sure therefore that you can necessarily go up in power easily on these cars, although I could be wrong.

Also consider that the 118/318d have a smaller and less robust differential to the 120/320d. I'd always steer people away from the "1.8" engined cars for this reason as they have expensive diff problems that the "2.0" cars don't have.

Still a bit too small tho and the 116d isn;t exactly powerful!

Nice in town. Not so good on the motorway.

We can only have the standard model as well. Would still like to give one a drive though as it would save me the hassle and risks of buying another car. The allowance is OK, unless something major goes wrong!

I have been looking at the 330d. All quite expensive still at four years old. The 320's are so much cheaper!

The 320d are not a bad car - 184 bhp and they go well. Take a test drive and see most dealers will get you a 320d and a 330d in for you to compare.

When you say your 330 averaged 46mpg, it that accross the board on the trip computer? What did it do at 70 on the motorway? I know I will loose out round town, but long trips will claw it back.

Thats on 30 mile runs, 10 miles of A-road at about 40mph and the rest 70mph motorway. On a long run cruising run say from Leeds to Dundee on mostly fast roads it'll return in the low 50mpg.

Thanks again

You're welcome.

Whats the score the the 325d? Seems to be 3l but slightly slower with no saving on fuel?

It's a 330D with smaller injectors and lower boost. I never really understood why they had it to be honest...

Is the effecient Dynamics 320 just tuned down to keep the tax low? It also claims 69mpg combined... Guessing you could have it re-mapped, still pay 20quid tax but get better performance..

Yes and many people do.

A word about ED - most of this saving comes from the stop-start feature. Most people turn this off and let the engine tick over - it's kinder to the timing chains. The autos don't have stop start and they dont benefit much from the technology.

Sorry Tim.

I used to have an S60 T5, it was bloody quick! drank petrol though. My 630i does mid 30's on the motorway, the S60 never returned 30 mpg else I would buy another.

---------- Post added 04-07-2014 at 19:57 ----------

Possibly. There is significant difference between the ancillories - the 116d for example runs a lower injector pressure, and a lower boost pressure than the 118/120d The 123d has twin turbos as well.. it's not just a chip swap. I'm not sure therefore that you can necessarily go up in power easily on these cars, although I could be wrong.

Also consider that the 118/318d have a smaller and less robust differential to the 120/320d. I'd always steer people away from the "1.8" engined cars for this reason as they have expensive diff problems that the "2.0" cars don't have.

Nice in town. Not so good on the motorway.

The 320d are not a bad car - 184 bhp and they go well. Take a test drive and see most dealers will get you a 320d and a 330d in for you to compare.

Thats on 30 mile runs, 10 miles of A-road at about 40mph and the rest 70mph motorway. On a long run cruising run say from Leeds to Dundee on mostly fast roads it'll return in the low 50mpg.

You're welcome.

It's a 330D with smaller injectors and lower boost. I never really understood why they had it to be honest...

Yes and many people do.

A word about ED - most of this saving comes from the stop-start feature. Most people turn this off and let the engine tick over - it's kinder to the timing chains. The autos don't have stop start and they dont benefit much from the technology.

loads more very useful info, thanks again. I should take them both out, but I already know I will want the 330!

Don't some of the 320's have 204bhp?

Have you seen Volvo's new diesel engines? only on the new ones though which is a shame, as on paper, they sound great. Much higher pressure or something, very quick and great mpg. Shame their old diesel engines aren't up to scratch as I used to love my S60.

Edited by neeeeeeeeeek