Anyone got a 3 or 5 series BMW. about 4 years old?

I am thinking about getting a 3 or 5 series, probably 4 years old. Currently running a 3l petrol so would like something quite nippy, but as I am being forced to sell my current car, I might as well get something reasonably economical at the same time.

What model do you have, what engine, and what MPG do you get?

I would like the 3l diesel but realistically, the 2l is the more sensible option. The stats say the 320d can return 50/60 mpg, be interested to know what you get if you own one. The bhp varies between models as well.

Cheers for any info :)

best diesel and BM i have ever had,530d sport for sale, 40-50+ mpg, stunning performance, fully loaded sat nav , heated leather etc etc, plenty of boot space great for motorways.

the 3 series are really underpowered imo, this is 08 72k miles full BMWSH from new sytner.

pm if interested.

I have a 7 series with the three litre diesel engine, I get around 25 in town and 38 on motorways.

For a diesel engine the take off and pulling power is phenomenal and cruising at 70 hardly registers on the rev counter.

Do yourself a favour and find one that has all the bells and whistles, the grandkids think they're all fab and much more interesting than mum and dads cars are.:hihi:

How old is your 7 series? I know they have had quite a few different engines over time.

If the 2l 320 can return 60mpg on motorways and I can find a high spec one then it makes sense. If they don't return much better than the 3l then sod it, worht the extra money.

:)

My 3l 630i does 36 on the motorway so would be gutted if I didn't get a better return than that.

The 330d seems to get raved about often by petrolheads.

I think it's got the correct blend of performance, comfort, economy to make a really decent all-round car.

How old is your 7 series? I know they have had quite a few different engines over time.

If the 2l 320 can return 60mpg on motorways and I can find a high spec one then it makes sense. If they don't return much better than the 3l then sod it, worht the extra money.

:)

My 3l 630i does 36 on the motorway so would be gutted if I didn't get a better return than that.

It's 2009, done loads of miles but never misses a heartbeat.

My lad picked it up for me from one of his customers who had had it from new and had had it maintained by the main agents.

60 mpg sounds brilliant, I'm not what you might call light footed on the accelerator so 25/38 is acceptable for me and the deficit is worth it for the ride and comfort.

You may have guessed I'm no youngster and my lads take a rise out of my "old blokes car" but I can honestly say I'm enjoying it as much as any other car that I've driven.

I had a 2011 318d Touring. Not massively quick but beautifully put together. I averaged about 51 mpg

Don't do it unless you have very large pockets with never ending money for repairs. You can get them cheap as chips, repairs cost more than you paid for the car.

What makes you say that? My 630i has 146k on the clock and has never missed a beat. Chap at work has an 09 3 series estate and he has never had any issues.

Don't do it unless you have very large pockets with never ending money for repairs. You can get them cheap as chips, repairs cost more than you paid for the car.

This is actually my first BMW, for many years I have alternated between Jaguar and Mercedes, i have to admit that this one more than competes in comfort, ease of driving and up to now reliability.

The performance for a 3l diesel is crazy and easily outshines any diesel that I have driven.

The only thing that makes your eyes water is the cost of decent tyres at around £200 per corner :gag:but the tyre company that maintains our fleet of vehicles give us favourable prices.

All in all I am very happy with it.

I'll take that with a large pinch of salt considering your "expertise" about photos.

---------- Post added 02-07-2014 at 10:44 ----------

I am thinking about getting a 3 or 5 series, probably 4 years old. Currently running a 3l petrol so would like something quite nippy, but as I am being forced to sell my current car, I might as well get something reasonably economical at the same time.

What model do you have, what engine, and what MPG do you get?

I would like the 3l diesel but realistically, the 2l is the more sensible option. The stats say the 320d can return 50/60 mpg, be interested to know what you get if you own one. The bhp varies between models as well.

Cheers for any info :)

The difference between the 3 and 5 series is more than just size. the 5's are smooth autobahn mile munchers, the 3's are bit sharper and less refined in terms of a smooth ride. Coming from a 6 series you'd probably be happy in either. I'd say but a 4 series but there's no secondhand market in them yet of course, although they are very nice cars.

The N47 2 litre engines (which are marked as 1.6 to 2.5 litres but are all in fact 2 litre displacement) have a known issue with the camchains. Listen very carefully for a rattle from the back od the engine bay - if you hear it walk away. Any car that is 3 years old has the modified crank fitted, a 4 year old car may not have this done. If you get it as an approved used car from BMW though it'll be covered if it does give you problems. They have about 20,000 miles between oil services assuming mostly motorway miles - however I would recommend you change the oil (not the filter) every 10k as it's a bit long even with long life oil.

Coming down from a 3 litre petrol you will find the 2 litre diesels a bit lacking but they are still good. I've had a 330d and a 520d - the 330 gives a lot more power, and averages about 46mpg, the 520d about 51mpg. The same engine in a 120d of a friend returns nearly 60mpg, entirely down to the lower weight of the car we think.

Gearbox oil and diff oil are "sealed for life" which is complete rubbish - these are good for 100k - if you get one find a decent indy to swap it for you (BMW will not do this no matter what you say or offer to pay them). Automatics need the transmission fluid doing as well, again BMW say sealed for life and it's a complete crock but the transmission fluid can be expensive.

Hope that helps!

---------- Post added 02-07-2014 at 10:45 ----------

The only thing that makes your eyes water is the cost of decent tyres at around £200 per corner :gag:

Don't buy the runflats - carry a can of inflating goo. I moved off of the big brand tyres to Vredsteines at half the price and couldn't tell the difference - the Dutch think highly of Vredstein and I can see why.

That is the sort of comment someone that doesn't own a "premium car" makes. I am a Volvo man myself, when I compare reliability/repairs with other cars I have driven than it is indestructible. Also own a Jazz and despite it being a Honda I have more frequent problems with that than I ever have with the V70.

---------- Post added 02-07-2014 at 10:48 ----------

Don't buy the runflats - carry a can of inflating goo. I moved off of the big brand tyres to Vredsteines at half the price and couldn't tell the difference - the Dutch think highly of Vredstein and I can see why.

Vredestein :) yeah, they are definitely considered premium in the Netherlands. Run-flats are a massive pain, they make the ride much harder/noisier.