Why do tablets have so little memory

was looking to buy an android tablet to put all my films on and could not find one with much more than 32 gig, why is that?

Because they use solid state memory, not hard disks.

Get in with an sd slot and you can add extra storage that way.

Can you recommend anything? I have a windows surface and i dont like it

My guess is all tablet manufacturers are looking to get us all to the point where we store everything on their servers and stream it.

ASUS Nexus 7 - 32GB for £200 on Amazon.

I have one myself, They are fantastic little things. Pretty much using for everything really! It is my ultimate cure for boredom especially when I am traveling around a lot.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00EANTELO/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=computers

ASUS Nexus 7 - 32GB for £200 on Amazon.

I have one myself, They are fantastic little things. Pretty much using for everything really! It is my ultimate cure for boredom especially when I am traveling around a lot.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...=1&s=computers

I have the same. Fantastic tablet.

If storage is an issue you can attach a usb key to increase thru the micro usb cable.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

In case anyone is wondering, the reason why they use solid state memory is power consumption not just physical size. Using a HDD can easily use as much power as the rest of the tablet put together.

Why do tablets have so little memory ?

Because you can use as many memory sticks as you like. That's why android is great!

You take it out the packet, swallow it, gone !

Why would it need a memory ? :huh:

You can get a 64GB for £7.50 online. To make sure 64GB works on you TV, Android tablet make sure it is formatted to fat32. Use this link to make it happen.>>

Here

Windows 7 etc can only format 32GB to fat32. If you have a card larger than 32GB use the link. If you try format on windows 7 to fat 32 the card will not work on your TV etc. The option is exFAT32. If you haven't noticed one huge change with Windows 7 is that FAT32 is no longer an option when formatting drives.. Use this link to sort it.

Edited by Chip And Dip

was looking to buy an android tablet to put all my films on and could not find one with much more than 32 gig, why is that?

Surely your next door neighbour could have told you the answer Adam :hihi:

How many films do you have and how much storage do you need? External storage seems to be the way to go. IIRC the Surface has a proper USB port so you have a choice of using this or SD. Otherwise, perhaps store them in the Cloud and they would be available wherever there is a wifi connection.

BTW what is it about the Surface that you do not like? I looked at them a while ago and was very tempted, although I know that the App Store needs filling out. Could you add a review to this thread please? Would really like to know what you think of it and what your problems are besides storage.

Edited by ccit