Do you replace the brake fluid in your car?

My car has kindly informed me that the brake fluid service is due. It's not due to fluid levels or contamination, it just tells you to do it every couple of years apparently.

I have had various cars and have never replaced all the brake fluid before and I am still alive. Is this really necessary or is it just a scam?!

Do you replace yours?

Guest sibon

Speaking as someone who had a total brake failure going down Long Lane, I suggest that you treat your brakes with the utmost care and attention.

If they want new fluid, give them new fluid.

I've never replaced mine. Though during work on the brakes or lines i've replaced quite a bit by bleeding them on occasions.

Sounds daft to me, though none of my cars have ever needed high performance breaks. :hihi: So maybe it is necessary in some cases ?

Glad i've totally cleared that up for you. :D

Guest sibon
I've never replaced mine. Though during work on the brakes or lines i've replaced quite a bit by bleeding them on occasions.

Sounds daft to me, though none of my cars have ever needed high performance breaks. :hihi: So maybe it is necessary in some cases ?

Glad i've totally cleared that up for you. :D

I think that between us, we've given pretty clear advice.:)

Yes you should replace it at regular intervals.

I think that between us, we've given pretty clear advice.:)

just noticed i've spelled "Brakes" wrong. I'm in for it now. :hihi:

My VW has it as a service requirement at the 3rd service and every 2 years after that.

The explanation is that the operating temperature of the brakes is anything up to 230C and gradually over time minute amounts of water/steam are absorbed into the brake fluid from around the brakes, and this gradually reduces the maximum temperature at which the brakes can function fully. Once that maximum temperature drops down below the temperature at which your brakes are functioning on a busy run, things can go very badly pear shaped without warning (I'm paraphrasing the mechanic I spoke to).

So it's basically precautionary, but worth doing every couple of years if it prevents only a very few brake failures.

NO.............. I've had my car 13 years and never had the brake fluid changed.

I drive Fiat and its always serviced by the dealership - when new pads or brake shoes have wanted fitting they have always done them for me and never changed or suggested changing the brake fluid, its also never required topping up.

My brakes would stop me on a postage stamp.

The only time to check the brake fluid is if you notice its going down or very low, this would be an indication that you have either corrosion on your brake pipes which is causing a leak, or you have a leaking wheel cylinder seal, which would result in spongy brakes or even brake failure.

It's amazing how some people risk their lives just to save a few£££

---------- Post added 28-06-2014 at 08:29 ----------

just noticed i've spelled "Brakes" wrong. I'm in for it now. :hihi:

That will be the least of your worries when they fail:suspect:

It's amazing how some people risk their lives just to save a few£££

You can't put a price on stupidity, but there are so many people trying their hardest to push that price as low as possible.

I wonder if the same people refuse to change the tyres because the car still stops alrite???