Sign in to follow this  

We have a "Shadow-Chasing Cat..is it normal?

Our neutered male cat has started chasing shadows. On curtains, walls...you name it.

It only started a short while ago.

Any advice, anyone? Is it normal? :help:

yes, we had a cat that did this for a while, i think most animals will chase anything that moves.

Aw that's quite sweet! Is he a kitten?

I love it when they see their tail and try to catch it and run round in a circle for hours :hihi:

It's perfectly normal- he's just playing. One of mine loves to chase the reflections of sunlight on my watch- she does it for hours, even when she knows it can't be 'caught'.

If you want him to stop (if he's causing damage) why not try getting a pen torch and playing with the light beam- making sure not to shine it in his eyes of course- and giving him that to chase instead? Or setting up a cat gym for him could work too.

Aw that's quite sweet! Is he a kitten?

I love it when they see their tail and try to catch it and run round in a circle for hours :hihi:

He isn't a kitten x_Sunshine_x, he is my beauty boy, the most handsome moggie I have ever come across. I love him absolutely to bits. He is a cat who virtually starved before trusting me and my wife to feed him. A highly- strung cat due to being feral for 6 months to our knowledge. He grew to trust me, he's a real personality, and to be really honest, I am the only one he really trusts.

He can be moody, scratch anyone when he feels like it, although I can read the signals before he gets to that stage and then I back off. He can also give someone a "nip" if they pet him too much. I love him to bits, and he knows it.

He is white with black patches on his back, a large palm print in the centre, and five fingers two on the left side, three on the rightside of his back. I call them the fingers of God markings. His tail is very fluffy, black, with a white ring halfway down it.

He is about 3 years old now, and we cherish him.

We have 2 other cats, both rescue animals and females. We love them both.

But, for character, he is unique to me. I always say if I have to be reincarnated eventually, I would like to come back as a cat like him. He is the best. A Jack-the-Lad about town, he thinks everything is still attached :) Sorry this has turned into a eulogy about my cat.