Benefit Street Being filmed in Sheffield

80,000 out of 550,000 is only slightly above the average of 1/10.

Yeah I know.The article paints a ridiculously negative picture of our city.

This was reported in the Daily Mail, the TV program Yes Minister summed up newspapers very well many years ago and it is still true today.

" Sir Humphrey: The only way to understand the Press is to remember that they pander to their readers' prejudices.

Jim Hacker: Don't tell me about the Press. I know *exactly* who reads the papers. The Daily Mirror is read by the people who think they run the country. The Guardian is read by people who think they *ought* to run the country. The Times is read by the people who actually *do* run the country. The Daily Mail is read by the wives of the people who run the country. The Financial Times is read by people who *own* the country. The Morning Star is read by people who think the country ought to be run by *another* country. The Daily Telegraph is read by the people who think it is.

Sir Humphrey: Prime Minister, what about the people who read The Sun?

Bernard Woolley: Sun readers don't care *who* runs the country - as long as she's got big tits.

They ought to a Real Housewives of Sheffield and base it on the posh folk in Dore!! :hihi:

Better still dump 700 Roma families there.

This was reported in the Daily Mail, the TV program Yes Minister summed up newspapers very well many years ago and it is still true today.

" Sir Humphrey: The only way to understand the Press is to remember that they pander to their readers' prejudices.

Jim Hacker: Don't tell me about the Press. I know *exactly* who reads the papers. The Daily Mirror is read by the people who think they run the country. The Guardian is read by people who think they *ought* to run the country. The Times is read by the people who actually *do* run the country. The Daily Mail is read by the wives of the people who run the country. The Financial Times is read by people who *own* the country. The Morning Star is read by people who think the country ought to be run by *another* country. The Daily Telegraph is read by the people who think it is.

Sir Humphrey: Prime Minister, what about the people who read The Sun?

Bernard Woolley: Sun readers don't care *who* runs the country - as long as she's got big tits.

That is one of the best summaries of the press I ever heard.

Good old Jim Hacker.

( only slightly better than "God calls me God")

Her hometown, Sheffield, is one of the most deprived parts of the UK, with 80,000 people currently out of work and dependent on the dole, which last year cost taxpayers £117bn, to survive.

From the Mail.

Great advert for Sheffield there NOT.

Link us up to the article then. That seems an large amount.

Link us up to the article then. That seems an large amount.

There you are.

Thanks DHS.

The 80,000 is above average, but then we are in a pretty deprived area relative to the rest of the country.

The 117billion equates to each of those 80,0000 receiving £1,462,500. per annum.

The employment rate ranks at 67.51% 42 out of 64 cities in the UK. Thats an improvement from 52/64 in the previous yeare 2011/2012.

We are 10/64 for the % of workforce in the private sector.

15/64 when it comes to rates of people claiming jsa.

49/64 in terms of business stock.

53/64 in terms if business start ups.

IF people are interested they can find all the data here. Makes interesting reading when you look at the cities who are doing better and those who are in a worse position.

http://www.citiesoutlook.org/summary/sheffield

Channel 4 reality TV series Benefits Street has ruled out filming in Sheffield.

A statement from the broadcaster said the production firm ‘has not been speaking to’ people in the area about taking part in future. It spoke out after rumours it was to film in the city.

http://m.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/what-s-on/benefits-street-rules-out-sheffield-series-1-6700872

Thanks DHS.

The 80,000 is above average, but then we are in a pretty deprived area relative to the rest of the country.

The 117billion equates to each of those 80,0000 receiving £1,462,500. per annum.

The employment rate ranks at 67.51% 42 out of 64 cities in the UK. Thats an improvement from 52/64 in the previous yeare 2011/2012.

We are 10/64 for the % of workforce in the private sector.

15/64 when it comes to rates of people claiming jsa.

49/64 in terms of business stock.

53/64 in terms if business start ups.

IF people are interested they can find all the data here. Makes interesting reading when you look at the cities who are doing better and those who are in a worse position.

http://www.citiesoutlook.org/summary/sheffield

999 tigger, where do you work out that each benefit claimant gets nearly a million and a half a year, FGS?

Most (single claimants at least!) benefit claimants are on about £70-80 a week. Plus the <£100 a week for rent and council tax that's <£200 a week, inclusive of rent.

That's less than £10k a year, under one 1/10000th of the £1.5 mill you quote.

Westfield I hear somebody is from ?

yes, seen it advertised and definitely recognised a lass ive seen in crystal peaks