Keswick. M1/A1/A66. Or M6 ?

A66 is more scenic and has the Llama Karma Cafe at the end, can get frustrating though on single lane stretches. M6 you'll have to time right to miss traffic at Leeds and Manchester.

I go past there several times a year and usually opt for A66, I only use M6 when it's snowing.

jb

A66.... as barleycorn says its a nice route with a few decent stops on there now.we'ce always found it quicker too.

Agree with others. Once you've passed Leeds and York you've mainly got traffic going to the North East.

Heading across the M62 you've Leeds, Bradford, Manchester, Liverpool traffic, and then all the towns in Lancashire (Preston, Wigan, Bolton, Blackpool, Lancaster) and Lake District visitor traffic.

I'm sure I replied to this, but it seems to have disappeared :)

A66 is preferable most times of the day, though if an accident happens on the road you are basically stuck. We once got stuck behind one, sat still for 2 hours and then the police started to turn us round, took ages!

Having said that, this can happen on a motorway as well of course!

Been to Keswick a few times. Always go A1, A66. Lovely journey on the whole.

Well that seems pretty unanimous. Thanks for the replies. :thumbsup:

Up through the dales is nice.Leeds then Ilkley,Skipton,Settle,Ingleton,Kendal and then across the Lake District to Keswick.Not the quickest but the nicest!

Don't forget to stop off and see Long Meg! :D

... and her daughters.

We do the Huddersfield, Halifax, Keighley, Skipton, through Gargrave, to Settle route. Kids hated it when they were younger. We call it the scenic route. They called it "Are we nearly there yet???

Another vote for A1 and A66. We use it 2 or 3 times a year. Tend to set off just after morning rush hour and although you can get held up in places by slow lorries, it's never been too bad. Watch out for mobile speed cameras on A66 though, there's been quite a few of late.

Ilkley, Settle, Kendal route is lovely but very slow usually. Great views of Red Kites and Buzzards as you go past Harewood though.