Fishing the severn

im going on the severn at highley in a couple of weeks for a week anyone been and give some tips how to fish it what bait thanks

Are you staying in one of the cottages next to The Ship Inn?

im staying at the ship inn any tips would be great thanks

Red maggot either trotted or feeder is as good as anything on the Severn.

Good luck

im staying at the ship inn any tips would be great thanks

I can't believe what they've done to the Ship, it looks marvelous. It was a pretty run down place the last time I went down to Highley. The stretch right in front of the Ship is slow and deep and I'd walk upstream about 100 yards to the stile, the area either side of this is good for fishing the feeder. If you walk another 200 yards upstream you'll come to a pebbled beach like are, you can wade out about a third of the way and you can catch on the float from here.

When I went down to the Severn I went all out for Barbel, so it's sturdy rods, heavy lines and lots of pellets. If you fish with maggots you'll be plagued with small fish.

cheers john will try that

How did your trip to the Severn go gums?

hi john, no fish the severns very low and clear but enjoyed it all yhe same I would advise anyone thinking of going don't look any further than the ship inn great place clean and good grub at a reasonable price. try again next year.