Gen-3 Glasscoat Car Paint Protection

I know it's a typical after sales product, however, I do like the sound of it and although it is fairly new to the market it does seem like a good product.

The dealership is offering it to me for £350 but I don't think I would want to pay more than about £200-250. If I was able to negotiate, does anyone else have this on their car - if so, is it any good? Does anyone know if I can get this done in Sheffield for the price above?

What are the other (cheaper) options for a good wax/polish product that I can apply myself 2 or 3 times a year to give a similar level of protection?

Check out these guys: http://www.cleandetail.co.uk/

No affiliation, just highly recommended. They offer a huge range of options.

£300 they charge for Gen-3 I think which is definitely cheaper than your dealership and I guarantee they will do a much better job of prep and application than any dealer ever will.

Whatever you do, if you are going to get something done external to the dealers, goes without saying to get your car to them for protection as soon as you can after leaving the dealership with it to limit damage to your paintwork and any correction they may need to do before glass-coating.

I'd also be very surprised if the paint work on your new car is in pristine condition straight from a dealer due to them potentially washing/waxing/shining it badly ready for you to pick up so they may need to correct anything screwed up by them. Just something to bear in mind.

---------- Post added 24-06-2014 at 11:32 ----------

Forgot to comment on any good question. The various glass-coat options are great if applied by someone who knows what they are doing. Check out some of the detailing forums for more info, there's a wealth of knowledge out there.

A good prep and application of a high grade wax, in my opinion, is just as good if not better cosmetically and cost wise and is something you can maintain yourself longer term if you are that way inclined.

There's a whole world of fun, gadgets and potions awaiting you out there...

http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/detailing.aspx

I love keeping my car clean and tip top. There's something therapeutic about an afternoon spent waxing your penis extension.

Thanks happenmight.

The car itself is 5 years old, so im thinking is it worth it (even though it looks in great condition)? I obviously want the car looking great for as long as possible, but if it's a case of me buying some quality 'off the shelf' products and applying myself twice a year (or so) to get the same effect, then I guess it's a no brainer.

If you don't mind a bit of elbow grease then you can get amazing results yourself in a weekend with a bit of patience and aforementioned products.

Clay bar, polishing compounds (easy enough by hand but better by machine polisher) and waxes for all budgets can easily be bought on the net. Techniques and advice is available by the bucket load on YouTube and the like.

http://www.detailingworld.com/forum/

The forum above is a goldmine of information.

Have fun : )