Beware of the Herries Rd "80p man"

I should carry around a little tube of adenosine triphosphate to give him.

Try that with the wrong person and you might get a kick in the NADs.

jb

Edited by barleycorn

I believe I know this guy by the way - he does it all day and definitely doesn't drink coffee with the money he obtains! He definitely isn't sleeping rough or needing £1 to buy a coffee.

dressed in a blue jacket and blue jeans?.. if he is a scammer then hes got it down to a tea. he even smelt bad!!

Reminds me of the time I was walking up The Moor and a bloke asked me for 5pence for a cup of tea......... here's 10pence, get me one as well I replied.

was asked by a black guy in town for a pound for a cup of coffee, i said no i havent got it (which was true) but i felt guilty all day. he was genuine he was sleeping rough and although he had a manic look in his eye i felt as though he deserved some help. however small.

So not all are scammers:suspect:

At a train station in London I was asked by a begger to give her £4 as she was pregnant and had been robbed and needed to get home. I told her she should follow me as I had seen a Police man around the corner who would be able to help. She told me to f-off!

I'm afraid now I ignore people asking for money/cigarettes/used travel cards etc. Some will be genuine but others are scammers.

About 4 hours ago, a young lady approached me on Foxhill Cres. She asked me for £1 and a Rizla. She gave me a reason for asking but I wasn't concentrating. Something about a baby. I did ask her what a Rizla was and she said it was a piece of paper to wrap around something.

I think I saw the same lady on foxhill shops she asked me for a pound for bus fare. I said no and she walked off to ask a guy further down who gave her something, she then walked off down the street. Forgot to check if she was at the bus stop when I drove past so not sure if she was genuine or not.

At a train station in London I was asked by a begger to give her £4 as she was pregnant and had been robbed and needed to get home. I told her she should follow me as I had seen a Police man around the corner who would be able to help. She told me to f-off!

I'm afraid now I ignore people asking for money/cigarettes/used travel cards etc. Some will be genuine but others are scammers.

I think anyone who is being asked for money should follow this process if they are thinking of giving. ie if they have lost train fare see a policeman or if they want money for a coffee buy them a coffee. The genuine ones will accept it with open arms and then be helped. The scammers will be easily identified.

I think anyone who is being asked for money should follow this process if they are thinking of giving. ie if they have lost train fare see a policeman or if they want money for a coffee buy them a coffee. The genuine ones will accept it with open arms and then be helped. The scammers will be easily identified.

Excellent advice. I also offer to go with them to the Archer Project, Social Services or other places. My offer has never been taken up. Last year when I suggested Roundabout to a young man one evening he told me he was too old as he was over 25 showing he knew the help available only too well.

I heard a story (might not be true) about a man that hung around near a train station in London saying he was 80p short of his train fare and he was on his way to an interview, people mostly in a rush would just give him a pound and he did it most days of the week.

Ridiculous at the amount of money he could possibly have got for a simple scam

That's cheap. I got asked by man at Sheffield Midland, who professed to be on his way to an interview for £25 to help with his train fare.

He's only asking for 80p?

The German scoungers on the intercity train at Frankfurt Hbf station on last Monday morning were going down the carriages asking for 25 Euros. Mind you it was at Frankfurt where the bankers come from.

The beggars were careful to leave the train before it set off if they had not already been thrown off by some very large lady ticket inspectors/train guards.

Maybe Sheffield should lift its asking prices a bit.

If you ever come across someone who is asking for money and says they are sleeping rough and you feel the need to give them something, either buy them blankets or food and that way you know exactly where your moneys gone

You can safely assume anyone pulling this sort of story is a scammer. I remember waiting at the tram stop on West Street a few months ago and being approached by some overweight chap in his 40's. Said his poor old dad was in the hospital and he needed a bus fare to go and visit him. Told him nope, he pops off and starts screaming, walks down the street towards Subway for a minute. I see him further on, starts talking to a student, presumably with the same BS.

There was also someone with some sort of disability when I was in Crookes, just outside of Fultons Foods. Said he had just been to Sainsbury's and didn't have enough money to buy some fish fingers (!), so did I have a quid or two for him (!!!). I felt bad as he obviously has something wrong with him, but disabled people can just as easily be scam artists as anyone else.

He could have at least given me a better story!

saw the 80p guy this afternoon on Burngreave Rd.....he jumped out of the passenger side of a black car at lights and said 'could you lend me 80p we've run out of petrol at traffic lights'........I said no and he ran across road and got 80p from a young girl with kids even though I was shouting across to her not to give him anything......I think the reg of car was YT63 *** but don't quote me on that.......also a young girl with a pram has asked me for bus fare a few times on Leppings Lane.......

Edited by nikki-red