Poundland not giving receipts

The staff shouldn't be throwing the receipts in the bin though. If they want to go receiptless, they shouldn't print them in the first place. If they have to print them, they should give them to the customer.

Next time you are in go and watch and you will see a large number are refused or the customer just walks out without. The receipts print automatically. If you ask for one as you are paying I cant see them saying no. Storm in a teacup.

The 99p shop had a notice up saying, if you dont receive a receipt with your purchase inform the Manager and you will be given £5, its a fiddle and a big fiddle at that. no receipt no record of sale, i dont wonder they could not find the op receipt.

Seems to be a growing trend.

My two local Co-Op stores do the same after a transaction : ask if youwant the receipt, and if so, have to go furtling beneath the till.

Also in the Whistlestop (?) shop in Sheffield Station....they even had a sign displayed until a few months ago stating that receipts would definitely be issued for all transactions, but I've noticed that this practice seems to have been reversed....

Retailers don't have to give receipts out, if it's a matter of a few quid, chances are the assistant is so used to people not bothering to take them, it's become second nature.

As to proving you bought the items? CCTV. Chances are if you're on illegitimate 'business', the staff will have been keeping an eye on you anyway.

With regards to tracking transactions, generally most modern POS systems can fully audit trail transactions down to a specific second, minute, hour of the day. With card payments, even easier (and certain).

Edited by kdhurst380

Retailers don't have to give receipts out, if it's a matter of a few quid,

Just looked it up there is no legal requirement for a shop to issue a receipt.

From CAB

Proof of purchase

You'll usually need to show where and when you bought your goods. You can prove this with your receipt if you have one. You don’t have the right to be given a receipt but usually are.

Edited by 999tigger

Probably lost £4 in revenue while waiting for the receipt.

Glad i wasnt behind you in the queue

Just looked it up there is no legal requirement for a shop to issue a receipt.

From CAB

Proof of purchase

You'll usually need to show where and when you bought your goods. You can prove this with your receipt if you have one. You don’t have the right to be given a receipt but usually are.

Indeed, I work in retail (with daily dealings in all things refund/rights/SOGA etc).

The issue is if you pay for something cash, there is no way of proving you bought a product without a receipt. Not a situation I've ever faced being in an environment where receipts are categorically issued. I have no idea what the protocol would be if a retailer didn't issue a receipt.

Paying by card is so much more beneficial for both parties, the transaction is tied to the card in question and as the consumer, you will obviously have a bank/credit card statement which serves as proof of purchase.

I know when I visit a Starbucks the Barista always asks me if I want a receipt or not.

Paying cash for a coffee costing a few quid, I just don't bother with one.

Thought id just said exactly that x posts ago....

Thought id just said exactly that x posts ago....

erm dont know what to say

Bought a few bits in Poundland ( Old TJ Hughes) today, paid and was checking the receipt was in the bag as they were business related and no receipt. The assistant said I did not think you wanted one and had thrown it in the bin. There were loads in the bin and she could not find it, so after calling a manager by which time a queue had built up, a duplicate was issued. She said they throw them all in the bin, so what if I had been stopped on my way out, how could I prove that I had paid. A strange way to operate a retail business.

Surprised at this, I find it interesting that they dont issue any customer with a receipt, as last week I was walking into this store as a customer was walking out with his purchases, he was then attacked and pushed in front of a bus by a poundland member of staff who accused him of stealing, when the customer told him he had paid, the staff member told him to prove it by showing his receipt, which he told him he hadnt received. He was then dragged back in the shop his items took off him without actually proving he had stolen them. If they dont issue receipts how can you prove you've paid in instances like this. Made me walk straight back out the shop again.