Cockles, Mussels, Whelks,Prawns!!

That's a phrase you don,t hear in Sheffield pubs nowadays,I used to love polishing off a packet of any of those items after a few pints!.Every pub you called in had a visit from various blokes selling them from a basket,also I had a liking for those packets of Billions sold off a card behind the bar,the ones with small cheese pkts and silver skin onions!.Not forgetting the old pork scratchings,I can,t remember the last time I enjoyed these little treats,the last seller I saw was in the 80s in the Queens Hotel Mosborough!.I suppose they stopped because it wasn,t profitable any more,oh well times change I suppose,did anyone else on the Forum enjoy them as much as I?.:confused::hihi::hihi:

Edited by old tup
I can,t spell whelks!

Being brought up in a pub, I virtually lived off of all of those :D

Nothing better than a visit from the cockle man to our working mans club in the 80's. My dad used to take me and my sister and we would sit waiting for him to arrive

Edited by sheffield0

My mouth is watering at the thought of them ...Yum !!

My mouth is watering at the thought of them ...Yum !!

apart from welks just mind set but yuk

Did that job at the week end when we were on strike back in the early seventy's, and enjoyed it.

But I wouldn't fancy walking back through a dark car park with a pocket full of money these days....:suspect:

I too was a cockle seller in the late 60's/ early 70's.

There was always some clever dick asking "got any crabs mate?"

My response was a polite smile and proceed to stick the basket near enough to his missis so she would inevitably take a packet, and watch his face as he had no option but to stick his hand in his pocket and pay up.

I think there were a couple of stalls in Castle Market where you could walk up to a bar and there were little paper plates and wooden forks with a small serving of these delicacies - must have been early '60s. I think yo paid by the numer of plates you ate - they were tiny - the size of a jam jar lid.

I remember having a bag of raw mushrooms in the Wapentake in the early seventies, made a change from gritty vinegary cockles and chewy whelks!

I remember having a bag of raw mushrooms in the Wapentake in the early seventies, made a change from gritty vinegary cockles and chewy whelks!

Hmmmm :suspect:

Mmm kershaws i think they called them what used to go round pubs&clubs

Mmm kershaws i think they called them what used to go round pubs&clubs

They're the ones I remember.