Next tram rail replacement affecting Middlewood & Malin Bridge July 7

It surprises me how Stagecoach don't make more effort to let people know the detail of what is going on. Have they done a mailshot or similar to people in the catchment area of the trams?

I had the last disruption timetable that I picked up on the tram, but was not expecting trams not to be running between Middlewood and Shalesmoor.

So you mean aside from the fact there has been advanced warning on the supertram website for months albeit with timings to be confirmed, the posters at all tram stops, the on board tram announcements telling about the upcoming work , the drop in sessions that were organised for local people to drop in and get info, the ads on radio Hallam, the articles in the Sheffield star and the long threads here on Sheffield forum weren't enough ?????

Obviously they made 'little effort'

The thing is then general public walk around with their eyes and ears shut oblivious to these things until the day no matter how much info is out there

Christ if it was on a 12ft high neon coloured billboard with flashing lights people would still miss it

Edited by mrmw

I did know it was happening, but forgot and stood at the tram stop for a couple of minutes before my brain worked. The notices are a little small. In town however, the replacement bus service notices are pathetic. We got off at Cathedral, and could not find the bus stop, there were some vague notices pointing down the hill. I had to approach a Stagecoach staff member in the end who said this was a frequent occurrence, and pointed me to Snig Hill. Not quite enough signage really especially if the customer is not from Sheffield, and there are lots of summer visitors around.

So you mean aside from the fact there has been advanced warning on the supertram website for months albeit with timings to be confirmed, the posters at all tram stops, the on board tram announcements telling about the upcoming work , the drop in sessions that were organised for local people to drop in and get info, the ads on radio Hallam, the articles in the Sheffield star and the long threads here on Sheffield forum weren't enough ?????

Obviously they made 'little effort'

The thing is then general public walk around with their eyes and ears shut oblivious to these things until the day no matter how much info is out there

Christ if it was on a 12ft high neon coloured billboard with flashing lights people would still miss it

I don't use the tram regularly and I was not aware of the detail of the closures. So clear that the Travel South Yorkshire website shows the trams running as normal.

Edited by nohands
Updated

I don't use the tram regularly and I was not aware of the detail of the closures. So clear that the Travel South Yorkshire website shows the trams running as normal.

That's not what you actually stated in your initial post though so you too were unclear.

Travel South Yorkshire website is not operated by Stagecoach but SYPTE. Clearly if there's an issue then it's SYPTE who you need to complain too about their website.

The rail replacement is administered by SYPTE and is their contract.

As per my response to your initial post I certainly think all of the things I have listed including the use of local radio and press is more than enough evidence that they tried to publicise this.

Sorry if I confused you. As someone who does not work in Sheffield nor use the tram regularly, I was confused.

The point for me was that I was aware that there were some disruptions, as that has been apparent. So I looked at the TSY journey planner, which showed normal tram operation. It was only when my son told me that buses were replacing trams that I checked on here.

Again, apologies if I don't understand the detail of who is responsible for informing people when the trams operate. I think where we differ is that I don't think that they have done enough on the detail of the disruption, but will accept that they have advised of the wider project. Perhaps Stagecoach's project people might have checked that the TSY website was correct, although I accept your point that it is SYPTE misinforming people.

That's not what you actually stated in your initial post though so you too were unclear.

Travel South Yorkshire website is not operated by Stagecoach but SYPTE. Clearly if there's an issue then it's SYPTE who you need to complain too about their website.

The rail replacement is administered by SYPTE and is their contract.

As per my response to your initial post I certainly think all of the things I have listed including the use of local radio and press is more than enough evidence that they tried to publicise this.

Sorry if I confused you. As someone who does not work in Sheffield nor use the tram regularly, I was confused.

The point for me was that I was aware that there were some disruptions, as that has been apparent. So I looked at the TSY journey planner, which showed normal tram operation. It was only when my son told me that buses were replacing trams that I checked on here.

Again, apologies if I don't understand the detail of who is responsible for informing people when the trams operate. I think where we differ is that I don't think that they have done enough on the detail of the disruption, but will accept that they have advised of the wider project. Perhaps Stagecoach's project people might have checked that the TSY website was correct, although I accept your point that it is SYPTE misinforming people.

No need to apologise I'm all for complaining when something's wrong but the complaint has to be about the right person/company

We'll have to differ again about the detail of the disruption as I stated previously there are posters, revised timetables etc on tram stops and on supertrams website... Even listing the bus stops where the replacement buses go from. I don't see what else they can do.

I am astounded that as this is SYPTE's contract to replace the rails ie: they are in charge, paying for, tendered the contract and selected the contracter you'd think they'd endure their own website was accurate being the transport executive and top dogs so to speak

Stagecoach shouldn't have to check that the transport executives website is correct as you wouldn't expect them to be incompetent

Maybe stagecoach should ask for compo of SYPTE for not correctly keeping their passengers informed . After all it's the front facing staff like conductress who bear the brunt of customers irk for mistakes like this.

Well glad my days of working on public transport are behind me ;)

Been a breeze so far for me, plenty of buses from Middlewood and relatively no traffic between Hillsborough and the University, big thumbs up to Stagecoach for plenty of advanced and comprehensive information on what was occurring...:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Been a breeze so far for me, plenty of buses from Middlewood and relatively no traffic between Hillsborough and the University, big thumbs up to Stagecoach for plenty of advanced and comprehensive information on what was occurring...:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Good to know. Where are the actual University bus stops?

Good to know. Where are the actual University bus stops?

Gell Street, just past Henderson's...:)

Gell Street, just past Henderson's...:)

Cheers, getting tempting to get off at the interchange and swap onto the 52 to get to the Hallamshire.

Cheers, getting tempting to get off at the interchange and swap onto the 52 to get to the Hallamshire.

Nah, that's taking a long way round, just get off round corner from Hendo's... Dunno about the return journey though, i get the NHS shuttle bus back...