Next tram rail replacement affecting Middlewood & Malin Bridge July 7

@SCSupertram: Area 4 works begin on Monday 7 July affecting services between Middlewood, Malin Bridge and city centre. Full details http://t.co/GvVprup1Sr

So if I am reading this right, if you are at the Cathedral and want to get to West Street or the University, you have to get a bus to Shalesmoor to change onto another?

Suppose it will encourage walking, I guess...

---------- Post added 23-06-2014 at 12:51 ----------

Also, why cant they run a service between Shalesmoor and the two termini?

They have managed just about OK not having tram access to the depot the past few weeks. Store the trams on the uphill bit between Shalesmoor and the University and plonk a couple of spares there, job done.

Edited by No User Name

So if I am reading this right, if you are at the Cathedral and want to get to West Street or the University, you have to get a bus to Shalesmoor to change onto another?

They have managed just about OK not having tram access to the depot the past few weeks. Store the trams on the uphill bit between Shalesmoor and the University and plonk a couple of spares there, job done.

Buses will be running up broad lane next to west street is how I read it

As West street is closed for rail replacement then if a tram broke down between shalesmoor and the two terminus then they wouldn't be able to get it back to the depot as there will be no rails at different points and I'm sure H&S bureaucrats wouldn't allow the trams to run the wrong way down west street

Buses will be running up broad lane next to west street is how I read it

As West street is closed for rail replacement then if a tram broke down between shalesmoor and the two terminus then they wouldn't be able to get it back to the depot as there will be no rails at different points and I'm sure H&S bureaucrats wouldn't allow the trams to run the wrong way down west street

They were quite happy letting them run all the way down Norfolk Park in the early hours during the works last year...

As said, the current works are allowing no access to the depot at all, yet some level of service is being maintained.

The works on Park Grange and on the first phase and Parkway Viaduct on this phase allowed a "window of opportunity" whereas it was agreed trams could be brought back. Trams have been brought back on this current replacement. However on the West St phase there is no opportunity whatsoever to bring them back after consultation with the contractors and as will be out for 3 months it is simply not possible to maintain them for that length of time.

The works on Park Grange and on the first phase and Parkway Viaduct on this phase allowed a "window of opportunity" whereas it was agreed trams could be brought back. Trams have been brought back on this current replacement. However on the West St phase there is no opportunity whatsoever to bring them back after consultation with the contractors and as will be out for 3 months it is simply not possible to maintain them for that length of time.

I see.

Why does the attachment give one timetable up to 29th August, and then another from 1st September? What is happening on the 30th and 31st August?

Thank goodness there is a bus going up to near West Street, that was my biggest concern!

I see.

Why does the attachment give one timetable up to 29th August, and then another from 1st September? What is happening on the 30th and 31st August?

The 30th and 31st are a weekend... Upto 29th August is weekdays to that point then weekdays from 1st Sept are different with an extra Y4 slotted in during the morning run.

And running the wrong way up or down Park Grange Road is one thing - doing the same on West St is something else and the police wouldn't allow that given it is HUGELY busier than Park Grange Road at all hours. This is why trams can't run University or Shalesmoor to terminus as they cannot be maintained effectively for that long, nor can they be recovered if they die.

---------- Post added 23-06-2014 at 15:50 ----------

They were quite happy letting them run all the way down Norfolk Park in the early hours during the works last year...

As said, the current works are allowing no access to the depot at all, yet some level of service is being maintained.

The current works do allow access at agreed times, usually in the dead of night.

Edited by pushtotalk

A couple of reasons apart from the ones mentioned about getting trams back to depot for maintenance, there are some bits and bobs of work being done around the University tunnel as well as on West Street but mainly because the power will be off all the way from City Hall to Shalesmoor.

Additionally businesses along the tram route will be able to take advantage and do any work on their frontage that requires scaffolding without having to pay for tramway engineers to come out and isolate the power supply.

---------- Post added 23-06-2014 at 22:27 ----------

@SCSupertram: Area 4 works begin on Monday 7 July affecting services between Middlewood, Malin Bridge and city centre. Full details http://t.co/GvVprup1Sr

To give a brief summary on here:

A normal service will operate

BLUE: Halfway-Cathedral

PURPLE: Herdings Park-Cathedral-Meadowhall

YELLOW: Meadowhall-Cathedral

replacement buses will run:

B4: Castle Square-Malin Bridge

Y4: Castle Square-Middlewood

Buses will run the same route and frequency trams would normally operate Middlewood/Malin Bridge-Shalesmoor the bus stops as close as possible to University, West Street and City Hall.

It should be noted that in the outbound direction West Street will be closed so buses will run a parallel route on Broad Lane.

The link above is for the full bus timetable.

You will notice two timetable periods for weekdays, the difference is citybound services in the morning peak which reflects that roads are busier and more passengers are expected from 1st September as commuters return from summer holidays.

Edited by Andy C

So basically anyone going between Hillsborough and town is going to be stupid not to get the 81/82, as these will be cheaper than the tram replacement ones and much more direct.

So basically anyone going between Hillsborough and town is going to be stupid not to get the 81/82, as these will be cheaper than the tram replacement ones and much more direct.

Unless of course you work up near the Hallamshire Hospital area, West Street area etc. In which you'd be 'stupid' to get those other buses.

Nice generalisation there.

Just to mention the normal tram service to Meadowhall resumes this coming Monday, 30th June. The normal tram timetable to Halfway/Herdings/Middlewood/Malin Bridge also resumes on this day.

For the Tour de France on Sunday 6th July Supertram will be running a special service across the network.

Monday 7th July the rail replacement work on West Street commences with buses Castle Square to Middlewood/Malin Bridge. Trams continue as normal on the rest of the network.

Don't forget you can save money compared to weekly tickets by buying monthly tickets online.

All info at http://www.supertram.com