Is Sheffield still the safest place to live?

I'm sure I read recently that Sheffield was one of the safest places to live! I'm not sure where it was compared to, it might have been Syria or Iraq, I'll have to check.

I can't help feeling that the wholesome friendly reputation once enjoyed by Sheffielders the world over is somehow staring to slip.

This weekend we've seen large areas of the Manor festooned with CSI crime bunting, fleets of Ambulances and Police cars feverishly ferrying casualties to hospital from an assortment of different locations and to top it all they've closed the Embassy!

I'm so glad a large chunk of our taxes are paying for a Crime Commissioner or whatever it is they call them and all his little minions..... We would be better off appointing another HM Coroner.

I've still got relatives and friends living on the Manor and with the exception of all the burglaries they've suffered and the various cars stolen and burnt out, they've seen very little violent crime. If you don't count having rocks thrown at your car, near Albert's chippy on City Road.

It would be nice to see the Police at least try and get to grips with this instead of feeding us useless statistics that they think will support the lies about have safe and crime free Sheffield is.

Rant over and my apologies to the Coppers on the ground that have to bear the brunt of our frustration, while trying to keep the cart on the wheels.

I've never seen anything saying it was one of the safest places to live?

Or are you just starting another "Sheffield's gone downhill" thread? Since there are lots of them on here already.

The article you linked is three years old.

It also says the survey found sheffield to be the 11th safest place to live FOR STUDENTS out of the 20 places in the survey i.e bang in the middle.

If you look at the survey then safe in one area doesnt mean safe for everyone.

Is Manor a student rich area?

The wholesome reputation the world over? Really never heard of it.

Examples of people saying Sheffield is safe and crime free and you claim? Link us up.

Edited by 999tigger

There is a program on BBC TV tonight that could be interesting, things can only get worse if this comment is to be believed "Deputy chief constable Andy Holt self-flagellates for the record: “We are one of the worst performing forces in the country and that’s not something that I think is acceptable.” That South Yorkshire is having to shed some 300 PCs and 100 police community support officers over the next three years to help make a £42m saving justifies his subsequent use of the corporate cliche “challenging”.

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2014/jun/21/police-under-pressure-documentary-andrew-collins

On the good side, if you look at the crime rates for Sheffield we are at the lower end

http://www.police.uk/south-yorkshire/KD1/performance/compare-your-area/

As usual Leeds are better than us at things, their crime rate is higher

Edited by Blackbeard

April 2013 "Sheffield officially safest large city in UK"

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/sheffield-officially-safest-large-city-in-uk-figures-reveal-1-5578578

But what makes the OP think that this has changed? Apart from a shooting on the manor I don't know what events over the weekend he's talking about.

April 2013 "Sheffield officially safest large city in UK"

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/sheffield-officially-safest-large-city-in-uk-figures-reveal-1-5578578

But what makes the OP think that this has changed? Apart from a shooting on the manor I don't know what events over the weekend he's talking about.

I don't know, may be it was what was happening at Standish, Shirecliffe, Bellhouse Rd, Spotswood Rd, Fairleigh, Manor fields, Embassy Intake, and Manor Park being covered in CSI bunting that tipped me over the edge!

Something has gone on this morning also. Near Manor Park medical centre. I live on Manor Park and never have any bother or anything done to my house or car. It's a shame these incidents give what is generally a decent place such a bad name.

I don't know, may be it was what was happening at Standish, Shirecliffe, Bellhouse Rd, Spotswood Rd, Fairleigh, Manor fields, Embassy Intake, and Manor Park being covered in CSI bunting that tipped me over the edge!

What actually happened at all these places though?

Protecting the Public from Gangs: Sheffield in the 1920s

http://www.newenglishreview.org/David_Hamilton/Protecting_the_Public_from_Gangs%3A_Sheffield_in_the_1920s/

Interesting read but for more in depth information read JP Bean's book

http://www.jpbean.co.uk/GangWars.html

Prisoners found the he charge office steps very hard in those days, today the police have to be seen to be accountable.

Good find cyclone.

OP statistics are the only way of doing an objective comparison of one place against another as long as they are accurate and consistently presented.

Its quite possible Sheffield is the safest place from the survey, but it is relative to the other cities. That means the other cities are just worse than what the experience of Sheffield is as a whole.

What it probably means is that the crimes you experience are more likely to be in certain areas. More likely where there is unemployment, poverty, drugs, deprivation. That is not to say all poor people behave that way, just that things like street crime is more likely to happen in certain conditions.

ye apart from the recent murders but there probly just to dirty druggies... maybe if all druggies just killed each other of would be alot better, there just filth of the world