"Police under pressure" bbc tv 9pm 23/6/14

As they said in the program, statistics can show what you want.

This http://therealsyp.co.uk/images/1.jpg shows that vehicle crime is way down :thumbsup:, one of the targets that SYP had to achieve.

But then look at the vehicle crime compared with 'other theft' over the same period http://therealsyp.co.uk/images/2.jpg - seems that the 'other theft' stats increased by about the same that vehicle crime dropped. :huh:

Now i'm not saying that SYP were 'tweaking the figures', but seems very co-incidental :suspect:

And for completeness, overall stats (excl ASB) shows that whilst overall crime did drop during the filming(as it generally does over the winter months, since then it's on the up again http://therealsyp.co.uk/images/3.jpg :gag:

Edited by martynh99
Really bad spelling !

The other consideration is that the crime has to be actually reported. How many go unreported? Many I suspect. My hubby decided to leave our front door on the latch a few months back (He'd been fetching stuff out of the car and forgot to drop the latch). He was upstairs, my daughter was in the front room fast asleep and her boyfriend and I were in the kitchen and had music on. Not that loud but they still managed it.

We never heard a thing yet three lads came in and nicked almost £2000 worth of coats and a few pieces of cut glass from our hall. The coats nicked were mainly expensive walking anoraks. The cut glass was worthless except one of them was my late grans. For that I want to kick the whatsists out of them. Rest is just stuff. We know there were three of them because we came out of the kitchen and heard a kerfuffle on the path. Daughters boyfriend chased them but too late.

We didn't report that because we knew nothing would happen having got sweet fa when we reported a burglary years ago. How many of that sort of opportunist crime goes unreported?

Edited by annbaker

The other consideration is that the crime has to be actually reported. How many go unreported? Many I suspect. My hubby decided to leave our front door on the latch a few months back (He'd been fetching stuff out of the car and forgot to drop the latch). He was upstairs, my daughter was in the front room fast asleep and her boyfriend and I were in the kitchen and had music on. Not that loud but they still managed it.

We never heard a thing yet three lads came in and nicked almost £2000 worth of coats and a few pieces of cut glass from our hall. The coats nicked were mainly expensive walking anoraks. The cut glass was worthless except one of them was my late grans. For that I want to kick the whatsists out of them. Rest is just stuff. We know there were three of them because we came out of the kitchen and heard a kerfuffle on the path. Daughters boyfriend chased them but too late.

We didn't report that because we knew nothing would happen having got sweet fa when we reported a burglary years ago. How many of that sort of opportunist crime goes unreported?

Although I understand the sentiment, I don't think not reporting helps. The government needs to understand what situation we are in so they can prioritise funding. Now they go round smiling, saying crime numbers are down.

Although I understand the sentiment, I don't think not reporting helps. The government needs to understand what situation we are in so they can prioritise funding. Now they go round smiling, saying crime numbers are down.

Totally agree but I knew they'd do nothing and couldn't do much because it was dark and we never got a good look at them other than we could see they were Asian laddies because their hoods fell down as they scarpered. We just felt it was pointless to take it any further. Shouldn't feel that way I know but given there's less of them on the beat these days we just felt their time would be better spent elsewhere.

Tho if I ever meet the little scroat who nicked my gran's ornament I will kick the living daylights out of him. It's worth nothing moneywise but it meant a lot to me because she got it as a wedding present.

This thread prompted me to watch both episodes "back to back" on catch up TV.

I have to say I was surprised at the goings on in page hall.

It is only three years since I left Sheffield....and not far from page hall.

Yes, I have read previous threads about the area, but this programme really showed how bad things have got.

So glad I got out when I did.

watching program tonight, police are having there grants cut, so less police on the beat, I would rather pay more council tax to protect ourselves

But, like the NHS, extra money would just vanish into a black hole. The senior cops look very proficient at holding endless meetings with pie charts etc.

But, as was illustrated early in last nights programme, you can have all the targets in the world but - when one of these scrotes is arrested - the magistrates (the real problem here) give them a slap on the wrist and let them straight out.

Love the EDL post about the Brighton pavilion hahaha

The producers of this programme are milking it aren't they? nothing new is shown/discussed/revealed with each episode. The whole premise of the programme could have covered with a one off, say, hour long episode.

The senior officers seen to have confused "strategy" with "targets". Perhaps it was the way the program was edited, but it looked like they thought that simply by pointing at a graph, somehow, with no other changes (no more staff, no changes in procedure) the targets could be met.

Did anyone notice how at the endless meetings, everyone was doing that disagreeing, but agreeing thing? "I completely agree with you, but it's a terrible idea".

The other thing that struck me was how people's suffering (the guy who had been pulled out of his car and beaten up particularly stood out) was playing second fiddle to the statistics? Crimes were being looked at purely for their statistical impact, not how serious the crime itself was to the victims (although there's some correlation between the two no doubt).

The producers of this programme are milking it aren't they? nothing new is shown/discussed/revealed with each episode. The whole premise of the programme could have covered with a one off, say, hour long episode.

That seems to be happening much more with TV programmes these days - with "coming up after the break" and then a recap of what happened before the break. Mitchell and Webb parodied it very well:

The detective sergeant said it best "with less you get less" He's spot on and his colleague followed it up well by stating the public of Sheffield would be shocked if there are any more cuts with what a further reduction in funding would cause.

We pay more to this Govt than any other generation has every contributed and we get less back ! :rant:

The senior officers seen to have confused "strategy" with "targets". Perhaps it was the way the program was edited, but it looked like they thought that simply by pointing at a graph, somehow, with no other changes (no more staff, no changes in procedure) the targets could be met.

Did anyone notice how at the endless meetings, everyone was doing that disagreeing, but agreeing thing? "I completely agree with you, but it's a terrible idea".

The other thing that struck me was how people's suffering (the guy who had been pulled out of his car and beaten up particularly stood out) was playing second fiddle to the statistics? Crimes were being looked at purely for their statistical impact, not how serious the crime itself was to the victims (although there's some correlation between the two no doubt).

disagree to a certain extent. when they "all" went out en mass at the end of the programme was due to trying to find the guys from that crime....

but probably only due to the impact on their states :hihi:

Edited by esme
quote tags