What is your best food discovery recently?

Dried limes!

I was given a big bag full by a Moroccan acquaintance and was a bit sceptical at first because they look so unprepossessing - nasty little wizened, dried-up things that I couldn't imagine would be of much culinary use at all. They are absolutely brilliant though, in any recipe, either savoury or sweet , that calls for lime juice, lime zest etc. They are much more citrussy, flavoursome and aromatic than the lime juice you can buy in bottles from supermarkets, or even fresh limes. You can drop one or two whole dried limes in curries, soups and stews to add a really nice flavour - or you can grind them into powder in your spice grinder and use them in curry powders, cake mixes, home-made desserts and even cocktail ingredients. I'd never even heard of dried limes until a couple of weeks ago, let alone used them in my cooking - but they are definitely going to be one of my "store cupboard essentials" from now on!

I had Eel for the first time last week and really enjoyed it.

Dried limes!

I was given a big bag full by a Moroccan acquaintance and was a bit sceptical at first because they look so unprepossessing - nasty little wizened, dried-up things that I couldn't imagine would be of much culinary use at all. They are absolutely brilliant though, in any recipe, either savoury or sweet , that calls for lime juice, lime zest etc. They are much more citrussy, flavoursome and aromatic than the lime juice you can buy in bottles from supermarkets, or even fresh limes. You can drop one or two whole dried limes in curries, soups and stews to add a really nice flavour - or you can grind them into powder in your spice grinder and use them in curry powders, cake mixes, home-made desserts and even cocktail ingredients. I'd never even heard of dried limes until a couple of weeks ago, let alone used them in my cooking - but they are definitely going to be one of my "store cupboard essentials" from now on!

I discovered dried lime powder last week when looking in Ozmen for lime leaves. It provides a nice citrus kick to stirfrys and curries.

I had Eel for the first time last week and really enjoyed it.

Never had eel and have only really seen it in Japanese restaurants.

Never had eel and have only really seen it in Japanese restaurants.

I had it in a restaurant in France.

Edited by John Dory

Shin Ramyun instant noodles from Korea. You can buy them from any oriental supermarket or from the oriental stalls at the Moor Market, about 60p/packet.

They're significantly hot and spicy, so much that your lips and mouth will feel the glow for 10 minutes after. You can extend them by adding anything you want, I bet they'd be great with a few prawns and mussels.

These aren't your regular Pot Noodles, they're something of a far higher order :thumbsup:

Here they are, the basic variety compared to their upmarket 'black' brand.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/10/taste-test-shin-ramyun-instant-noodles.html

I haven't tried the black ones, the regular are good enough for me.

Shin Ramyun instant noodles from Korea. You can buy them from any oriental supermarket or from the oriental stalls at the Moor Market, about 60p/packet.

They're significantly hot and spicy, so much that your lips and mouth will feel the glow for 10 minutes after. You can extend them by adding anything you want, I bet they'd be great with a few prawns and mussels.

These aren't your regular Pot Noodles, they're something of a far higher order :thumbsup:

Here they are, the basic variety compared to their upmarket 'black' brand.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/10/taste-test-shin-ramyun-instant-noodles.html

I haven't tried the black ones, the regular are good enough for me.

I bought a packet and a cup of these today - looking forward to trying them. :thumbsup:

Just remember that it's important to eat your Ramen with respect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9m6FoSw4jE

Lemon salt.

B&M in Hillsborough (I suppose other branches have it as well) have a range of salt and seasoning grinders which I thought looked interesting so I got a few. This one was far and away the best.

Its brilliant on fish, lifts tomato based anything up into something better, works well with pork and makes chips a special treat. Well worth the money and was less than £1.50

Edited by discodown

Garlic powder

Yes! I know it's been around for years in Indian supermarkets and now even Tesco sells it in bulk bags in ethnic areas, along with other Indian etc spices. Much cheaper than Scwartz size mini jars, which are pure extortion.

I always used garlic powder before, in Indian dishes, but one day I tried it in a salmon and broccoli lasagne when I made my sauce. (Roux base with milk, tomato puree, dill, and salt). I sprinkled a heaped teaspoon in and mixed well. After simmering for a minute or so I tried it and it transformed an ordinary salmon coloured sauce to a sauce which has a fantastic flavour of seafood. Don't put too much in though or it will overpower other tastes.

That's correct! It didn't taste like garlic, it tasted like a seafood or prawn sauce, without prawns in. I now use that garlic powder flavoured sauce whenever I need a sauce for fish or particularly salmon. It goes really well with salmon. Try it it will surprise you. I am wondering now if supermarkets use this trick in their prawn flavoured sauces