Beauchief Garage Ltd

The old tram did a circular route ~ Abbeydale Rd, Abbey Lane, Woodseats, Chesterfield Rd, Heeley Bottom and Highfields to Town. Many years ago when I was a young child if Sunday was an awful day my Father would take me for a run round on the tram when we would sit in the front bay upstairs and I would "drive" the tram, this was so that I wouldn't be under my mothers feet when she was preparing the Sunday lunch, happy memories.

All very interesting about the tram but what about Beauchief Garage and when were the flats built?

I worked there in 1961 and it was on the opposite side of Abbey Lane to the Beauchief Hotel and the petrol pumps were on the left before Abbey Lane

Yeah, I've seen the photo now. Looks like a new garage was built late 60's and possibly survived till the early noughties when flats were built. Any idea what the new garage was called and when the flats were built?

Unfortunately not Left Sheffield in 71 The original garage was owned by Alec Jepson who had car sales outlets at Totley and one at the top of Wolsey Road

My mother worked at the garage/petrol station up until closure in around 2002, the owners were an young indian couple who then moved on and operated the petrol station opposite Sainsbury's on Archer Road.

The original Beauchief Garage was situated on Abbeydale Road itself,next to which was the Post Office on the corner with Abbey Lane. The garage also boasted a car hire business and Funeral service both of which ere housed in buildings reached via a driveway just behind the Post office on Abbey Lane itself. On the opposite side of Abbey Lane just behind the Beauchief Hotel was the depot for a coaching business owned by the garage by a man called George Gill. This was called Abbey Lane Motor Services (Beauchief Coaches) and was established in December 1930. This enterprise was taken over by Sheffield United Tours on 20th May, 1953. I believe the Post office was closed on this corner in the sixties and flattened to make way for a new Filling station. This itself was then demolished around 2001/2 to make way for the present flats complex.

When the building on the corner was demolished the post office business was transferred across the road to premises in the small row of shops backing onto Abbey Cres. I remember it being there late 60s early 70s but must have closed completely around that time.

Very good info received from SUTman all we need now is the name of the filling station which replaced Beauchief Garage and I think we've got this one wrapped up.

As far as I'm aware it was just called Beauchief Service Station. That was the address I made deliveries to and yes the final owners where an Indian couple whose name escapes me

The first name or nickname of 'Dip' springs to mind.

Does anyone remember anyone called Jack or Jacky Carr he used to drive for Hogg's buses