2006 Local elections - who will you vote for?

Who will you be voting for in the 2006 election?  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Who will you be voting for in the 2006 election?

• Conservative
    • Green
    • Independent
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrat
    • Other
    • Won't or can't vote so show me the results

You say Britain Gained hugly from it...yes we did but not financially, far from it we was the highest taxed country in the world because of it.

We both gained, india gained from the rich diversity we gave them, we enriched there society..they should celebrate

If Britiain didn't gain financially, how did it?

"Highest tax" and "richest" are not necessarily mutually independent

Are you suggesting that perhaps Britain gained from the rich diversity that the Indian subconteninent gave Britain?

Are you indeed starting to embrace immigration?

Ah yes...look what can done when immigration is embraced! :love:

I'm not sure it was 'embraced' by the ancient Britons of the time!

Just do what I used to do, vote for whoever your Dad or Mum votes for.

Mostly nowadays I vote Independent, cos all the main Parties are full of useless jobsworths who could no more run the Country than I could sprout wings and learn to fly :loopy:

You mean forum moderators?

I'm not sure it was 'embraced' by the ancient Britons of the time!

I don't know, we were a bit thick back then (especially compared to places such as Italy, Egypt, Messopotania, China):D.

I think we are still a bit thick now......but all the countries there were invaders.

point

The world is a migrant population. More now then ever. Just see how many sf members are logging in from the country they now call home (outside of the UK), connecting with the city of their birth. Immigration is not the only issue to consider during the next election.

More people emigrate than come into this country each year, which means we as a nation are just as guilty of going elsewhere for a 'better life' than any of the people who reach our shores looking to start a new life in the UK. They do not deserve to be vilified and bullied for coming to our country.

:rant: :rant: end of rant back to the OP

I choose to keep my vote to myself as is my democratic right, but I WILL be voting. To not vote is a waste.

point

More people emigrate than come into this country each year,.

I'm not sure about that

point

The world is a migrant population. More now then ever. Just see how many sf members are logging in from the country they now call home (outside of the UK), connecting with the city of their birth. Immigration is not the only issue to consider during the next election.

More people emigrate than come into this country each year, which means we as a nation are just as guilty of going elsewhere for a 'better life' than any of the people who reach our shores looking to start a new life in the UK. They do not deserve to be vilified and bullied for coming to our country.

:rant: :rant: end of rant back to the OP

I choose to keep my vote to myself as is my democratic right, but I WILL be voting. To not vote is a waste.

very good point indeed. British people would soon be up in arms if expatriate Brits were threatened with being removed from the countries they had gone to live in. In fact, didn't we have a war with Argentina over a similar matter sometime around the early 80s? And when Welsh nationalists were burning down holiday homes owned by English people and spitting on them in the streets of North Wales the English were a tad upset.

Large scale immigration and emigration is just a result of greater globalisation.

Immigration is right at the bottom of the list of issues that concern me when I vote, unless it concerns protecting people from black and ethnic minority groups from racism, in which case I will vote tactically to keep the fascist out as I would rather live in a tolerant and diverse country than a tense and homogenised one, thanks.

didn't know you were a mind reader. i didn't even mention immigration. there aren't just two sides to that argument. you seem to want to try to make 2+2 =5. freedom and democracy. that would be the last thing we would have with the bnp. what makes me laugh is that your precious st george wasn't even english. it appears he was born in Cappadocia in what is now Turkey, in about the year 280 AD. It is probable he was of Darian origin. check it out if you don't believe me. we could adopt him as being british retrospectively if you like as part of britain's immigration policy. what do you think? is it a vote winner?

AGAIN answer my question,what nationality are YOU? i WILL WAGER YOUR JUST ANOTHER FOREIGNER.

Am I right or not?

Probably for Labour as usual or mite go for the BNP this time you know just for a change

AGAIN answer my question,what nationality are YOU? i WILL WAGER YOUR JUST ANOTHER FOREIGNER.

Am I right or not?

Why does it matter what nationality Ramayana is?

They obviously have a better grasp of the English language than you.

Am I right or not?

thanks fozzybronze you took the words right out of my mouth. does it really matter where i was born or my parents etc. don't judge a book by its cover! would it shatter your illusions if i was white? would you be more angry with me if i were asian or black? we are all immigrants who live in the british isles. let's put it this way i have a british passport. st. george never did! do you? see my previous listing on st. george's background. it might be an idea to travel and broaden your mindset in other cultures that are not predominantly white. i can see i'm banging my head against a brick wall here in our efforts to enlighten you. tony bliar's (sic) mantra is education education education. well we are trying to do just that. the people of sheffield need to stand up and be counted and ensure sheffield remains a fascist free zone this year and in years to come. a another useful phrase is 'ignorance is not an excuse'. also a little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing in the wrong hands. are you and waffer the same person or did you come out of the same fascist mould? looks like both of you skipped history classes in school and it would be an idea not just to look at eurocentric views as they don't give a balanced perspective. you may rant on but i think i've scratched the surface along with a number of other educated people. just below the surface lies a person who obviously has fairly strong racist and fascist views. try to break the saying 'a leopard cannot change its spots'. you might be a happier person for it. national front, bnp are just the same really. and in answer to waffer's diatribe about pakistanis and bangladeshis it might be an idea to look at history once again.

check out harrapa and Mohenjo-Daro. here's a brief intro :- The Indus Valley Civilization was one of the world's first great urban civilizations. It flourished in the vast river plains and adjacent regions in what are now Pakistan and western India.

The earliest cities became integrated into an extensive urban culture around 4,600 years ago and continued to dominate the region for at least 700 years, from 2600 to 1900 B.C. This civilization developed at approximately the same time as the early city states of Egypt and Mesopotamia.

oh also check up on The Ramayana and the The Mahabharata asian equivalents of the european myths and legends of the ancient greeks

don't forget that in modern times it wasn't until 1947 that india and pakistan attained freedom from the slavery of the british raj. so it's unfair to compare as it's not like with like. britain kickstarted the industrial revolution in the 18th century and in real real terms modern india and pakistan have had only 59 years to play catch up. obviously they were far more advanced than us in the past if you check the facts. i don't want this to sound like i'm dissing britain 'cos i'm not. i'm proud of multi-cultural britain. all i'm doing is providing you with substance to spurious claims that's all.

time for me to sign off royjames. and by the way fighting fascists is not my favourite pastime. it would be better if there weren't any.