Sign in to follow this  

Vicious cycle

Does anyone else feel trapped in the vicious experience cycle? I'm looking for my first full-time job at the moment, and while I've found jobs I think I could do, they all require applicants to have a certain amount of experience, which you can only get if you can get the jobs.

I have some experience of various types of work (secretary and social secretary of a working committee for nearly two years, six week placement in the civil service last summer and working in a sandwich shop for two months the summer before, saturday job in a kitchen for two years, as well as a few random bits and pieces), but while I've been at uni I've tried to concentrate on my degree, and as a result don't feel qualified for a lot of jobs. I'd be willing to put in as much time and effort as possible to learn how to do the job I was hired for, but that doesn't seem to be what employers want.

Same here, left college and concentrated on that, now finding it almost impossible to get even an interview

Does anyone else feel trapped in the vicious experience cycle? I'm looking for my first full-time job at the moment, and while I've found jobs I think I could do, they all require applicants to have a certain amount of experience, which you can only get if you can get the jobs.

I have some experience of various types of work (secretary and social secretary of a working committee for nearly two years, six week placement in the civil service last summer and working in a sandwich shop for two months the summer before, saturday job in a kitchen for two years, as well as a few random bits and pieces), but while I've been at uni I've tried to concentrate on my degree, and as a result don't feel qualified for a lot of jobs. I'd be willing to put in as much time and effort as possible to learn how to do the job I was hired for, but that doesn't seem to be what employers want.

offer to work a months trial and let the potential employer just cover your expenses....if you are no good he hasn't lost owt and if you are good both parties are happy.

Do you know exactly what you want to do? It doesn't help that my ideas keep changing, whereas all my friends knew last year and have been getting relevant work experience since then. I thought I wanted to join the civil service, hence the placement, but now I'm not sure and because I'm in my final year I have hardly any time to get experience doing anything, even though I'd be willing to work for free.

Listen Spidergirl,

Seriously, it's all about creative thinking and polishing.

I have done very very well in life reaching out for things that seemed well out of my league, where I have not had quite the right experience etc. But what I would say to you is that it's all about talking the talk, so to speak. The simple fact is, if there's a job you want to do badly enough, you will always be able to draw on your experience from some other field.

Honestly. I went for a very serious job 3 years ago with no experience but the dream and sneaky feeling this was something I could do. I talked about how I reacted in a difficult situation (failed parachute opening), how I handled an unpopular decision (turning down an Italian kid as winner of a limbo competition at a language school disco where 90% kids were Italian - the Hungarian kis was clearly better!) and whether the environment I was applying to work in would stifle my natural creativity (there is always space for creative thinking).

What I'm saying is that a) you need to go for the job that feels definitely right for you, if that is what your gut instinct is telling you (because chances are, there's a good reason for you to be doing the job you feel drawn to which will only become clear when you go for it - things happen for a reason and all that..)

and b) if you sit and think long and hard enough, you will ALWAYS be able to conjure up experiences where you have handled a situation similar to that which are applying for. It really is all about presentation and 'blagging' I'm afraid - if you can turn any experience around and polish it to make it look good and make you look like the ONLY possible candidate for the job then you really can succeed. You just need to sit and seriously THINK. I swear, presentation is everything, don't be held back by not having relevant experience etc, that's just crap, ANYONE can have had a similar life experience that is comparable and enough to nail the job ... if you are smart enough to sell it well. Be pasisonate!!

You really CAN get and do ANYthing you set your mind to!

Don't be held back and don't give in. My mottos: The squeaky wheel gets the oil, and Anything is Possible!

Good Luck :)

PS: If anyone needs any life coaching/motivation etc, I'm ya gal :)

xxx