X-Ray dept / Queens Road

When I was 18 I had my chest x ray at the bottom of the Moor - finished up in the Northern General having half my left lung removed

My husband thinks it may have been something to do with the railways.

Edited by smary

hiya.ellin st just offert moor bang opposite owd moor post office was ellin st

willybite,

What bearing has this on the X-Ray dept on Queens Road ?

Not a 100% certain but didn't the X ray place used to be on Ellin Street at the bottom of the Moor ?

Sure was, It was the static MMR (Mass Miniature Radiography unit). Used to detect for TB.

It then moved to the Royal on West Street and was behind the casualty department.

When the royal closed it moved to the Hallamshire Out patient department Ground floor.

When they thought we had eradicated TB they were all closed down.

It was called Miniature because the films were small, started out as 70mm roll film and later 100mm cut film.

As also stated they had a mobile van and trailer that visited works and large offices plus outlying villages. I believe the trailers that housed the diesel generators were built for use in the war as power supplies for the search lights.

OK I'm full of useless information. I'll get my coat.

Not a 100% certain but didn't the X ray place used to be on Ellin Street at the bottom of the Moor ?

Not as far as i know i worked on ellin street for a good few years in the 60s i worked opposte a rolls roce. Dealer and next door to us was a firm thath supplied medical stuff and was called vestric. The only chest x ray i knew of was a walk in one at the old royal hospita on west street

Not as far as i know i worked on ellin street for a good few years in the 60s i worked opposte a rolls roce. Dealer and next door to us was a firm thath supplied medical stuff and was called vestric. The only chest x ray i knew of was a walk in one at the old royal hospita on west street

Mass Radiography Centre and Unit, Ellin Street, Sheffield from The National archives.

See hear; http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s18041&pos=1&action=zoom&id=20627

I spent many a happy hour there repairing the equipment and then moving it to the Royal and finally to the Hallamshire, happy days.

willybite,

What bearing has this on the X-Ray dept on Queens Road ?

just saying xray dept was on ellin st thats all, seems to me you get your facts wrong .same as in other posts.l

Willybite?

Yes.

Not very kind.

just saying xray dept was on ellin st thats all, seems to me you get your facts wrong .same as in other posts.l

Willybite, without getting into an argument, there was an X-Ray dept on Queens Road, My grandma use to take me for chest x-rays when I was a young child.

What other facts have I got wrong by the way and in what other posts ?

Let me know and I'll rectify them one by one.

I remember going there when I was at school. My TB test was abnormal so I had to go for a few chest X-rays. Later on I worked at the Mass Radiography department at the Hallamshire and at the department at the bottom of the moor.

My brother's TB test at school had shown up as abnormal so, my mother and myself had to go for chest x-rays at Queens Road. It was a very austere department.

So, yes John Habs, it definitely was at Queens Road, not saying there weren't others but, there was certainly one on Queens Road, this was early 60's.