Fresh Start for Hens

Hi - Just to let you know that Fresh Start for Hens are next rehoming ex-battery hens on Saturday, 19th July 2014.

Reservations close on 6th July. If anyone is interested in offering a forever home as a pet to some ex battery hens please visit their website http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk. They ask a minimum donation of £2.50 per hen (which covers transportation, fuel, etc).

There are a number of collection points - just checking which of the local collection points are operating on this date - Sheffield has been confirmed, with next nearest point being Holmfirth and York.

Please spread the word. Thank you.

my friend is eagerly awaiting the collection of 4 on 28th June from Fresh Start for Hens. I can't wait to see them and to see their progress from sad disheveled little mites, to glossy happy free range chooks. Great organisation doing a great job

Oooh, fantastic that your friend is rehoming hens.

We've got some amazing volunteers in this region, they all do an amazing job and all for the love of those little chooks in cages.

Sometimes there are months between each rehoming session - Fresh Start for Hens have the opportunity to rehome a lot of hens within a short period of time - but hey, who wants to leave any little chook behind in a cage.

We welcome volunteers as well, so anyone wanting to help - visit the website and contact us. xx

My next door neighbours are also getting hens. I've told them all about Fresh Start for Hens as well, but not sure whether they're going to get some from you or not. I will mention it to them again. Fingers crossed

That's fantastic news.

Ex-commercial hens are amazing little creatures - very trusting, loving and its bonus when they give you a little egg :)

I keep trying to persuade the other half... and need to check if there any issues with havng chickens (just 2-3) in a teraced backyard in Hunters Bar. from what I've read so far, chickens are fairly quiet and as long as they arent let out at the crack of dawn they shouldnt make a lot of noise. They woulndt be free range anyway, theyd have to be in a secure run because of the doberbeast and any marauding predators, but its a nice little garden, lots of wildlife to scratch around for. the only thing about ex-batts is they might be scared to death of Jesse - our rescue rabbits are pretty laid back about her but hens whove spent their lives living in a space the size of an A4 sheet of paper...

A little EGLU and run wouldnt look out of place in our 'compact bijou' back garden...and whilst I'm sorting two rescue rabbits and a foster cat out there I can be looking after a couple of chickens...is the theory. the surface is flagged, not grass but the EGLU has a safety skirt to deter foxes and I've read you can make the hard surface more appealing with sand, shredded bark etc - (just a thought - I use Aubiose and straw with the rabbits - is Aubiose safe for hens?)

Also, what are local vets like with poultry? We take our rabbits, cats and dog to be vaccinated and checked over but can't say I've ever seen any chickens or quails at either of our vet practices (vets4Pets millhouses and Hunters Bar vets) not sure if you have to go through a vet to get their wormers andtheyre suposed to be vaccinated annually, arent they? must find a reasonably priced course to go on...

Edited by katkin

I keep trying to persuade the other half... and need to check if there any issues with havng chickens (just 2-3) in a teraced backyard in Hunters Bar. from what I've read so far, chickens are fairly quiet and as long as they arent let out at the crack of dawn they shouldnt make a lot of noise. They woulndt be free range anyway, theyd have to be in a secure run because of the doberbeast and any marauding predators, but its a nice little garden, lots of wildlife to scratch around for. the only thing about ex-batts is they might be scared to death of Jesse - our rescue rabbits are pretty laid back about her but hens whove spent their lives living in a space the size of an A4 sheet of paper...

A little EGLU and run wouldnt look out of place in our 'compact bijou' back garden...and whilst I'm sorting two rescue rabbits and a foster cat out there I can be looking after a couple of chickens...is the theory. the surface is flagged, not grass but the EGLU has a safety skirt to deter foxes and I've read you can make the hard surface more appealing with sand, shredded bark etc - (just a thought - I use Aubiose and straw with the rabbits - is Aubiose safe for hens?)

Also, what are local vets like with poultry? We take our rabbits, cats and dog to be vaccinated and checked over but can't say I've ever seen any chickens or quails at either of our vet practices (vets4Pets millhouses and Hunters Bar vets) not sure if you have to go through a vet to get their wormers andtheyre suposed to be vaccinated annually, arent they? must find a reasonably priced course to go on...

They probably wouldn't be bothered by a dog... they won't know what one is. Most dogs learn to avoid hens after a peck or two. Aubiose is fine for hens. Most vets get minimal training but some take further studies, you can find this info on the MRCVS website. I use Springfield at Rotherham, Moorgate for my hens. Wormers can be bought online, but be aware of the withdrawal periods for Flubenvet and the likes when eating the eggs. I used to worm in the winter when they dropped off laying. You can feed diatom year round to cover most worms but you'll need Flubenvet to get the gapeworm. You can also send for fecal egg counts from Wesgate Labs or Retford Poultry. Heeley City Farm do a course, but Starting with Hens by Katie Thear will tell you most basic information. Personally I wouldn't use an eglu as I think they are far too small. If you can afford one of them, then the money is better spent on much bigger run space.

Thanks Henhugger- I'm still working on the other half, he is taking some convincing, lol. I told him theeres loads of woodlice need chomping in our yard! must explore the Starting with Hens course xxK

My friend's off shortly to pick up her hens, except she's now collecting 6 not 4, as Fresh Start For Hens have persuaded her she really needed 6!

I can't wait to see them.

Not quite convinced the other half yet, sigh, think Ive still some work to do but I'll keep at it. Thanks for the chicken keeping link, a colleague says he went on one of the first courses and found it very useful.

With regards to vets dealing with poultry I can highly recommend Springfield Vets - they have 8 branches. I know Rotherham, Firth Park and Mexborough have vets happy to see poultry.