Garden Generators

Hi my neighbour, 2 or three times a week has started running a petrol generator in their garden. Its turned on at around 7pm and turned off when i complain at their door, I dont know what they run from it they have a wire in through the kitchen door but they have a good electricity supply to their house the same as the rest of the street. Its a petrol one and quite noisy, if the winds in the wrong direction our house smells of petrol inside, i have 3 young children and they are in bed for 9pm. What can i do? whats the laws on this type of thing?:help:

Keep a log of the dates and times he has it running and note any smell as well. Keep an accurate record for the next few weeks.

Go round and show him the log and tell him how stressful and annoying you find it. Ask him if he is prepared to stop using it, or perhaps only to have it opn as long as someone would have a lawnmower going (comparable level of noise nuisance). If he refuses, contact Environmental Health and ask to speak to the Noise Abatement officer.

Good luck. You have my sympathy. It's antisocial and selfish of him.

Thanks alice, its not so noisy but more annoying, sometimes , like the other day it was hot, we had the windows open and it smelled of petrol in the house. i was looking to see if there was any law about generating your own electricity in a residential house with elecrtic supply

Maybe they get charged extra for electricity later in the day, or maybe they are on a meter and trying to save, and running a generator is cheaper for them...

Yes Ghozer thats what they are ding, they said in the winter they only have the heating on twice a week and switch the lecky off, none of them work, hes on disability for a bad back, they run 3 cars, think it says it all, but i aint listening to a generator running at night

The smell of petrol alone would constitute a nuisance, a health hazard and a fire hazard.

Environmental Health is where you need to go.

I cannot see that running a diesel/petrol generator would be cheaper than buying electricity from the National Grid in any case.

I can't believe that either, they sound like a right bunch of stingy sods but I suspect they've not done their sums properly.

Unless they've been stealing the fuel to run the generator???

I can't believe that either, they sound like a right bunch of stingy sods but I suspect they've not done their sums properly.

Unless they've been stealing the fuel to run the generator???

I wonder whether they are (illicitly) buying red diesel rather than the full price stuff?

I wonder whether they are (illicitly) buying red diesel rather than the full price stuff?

Its not illegal to buy red deisel for a generator. But 99% of small gennies run petrol anyhow.

My guess would be they are doing major electrical work in the house and have the power off but need power for fridge and a couple of lights whilst work is done. Generating power using a petrol generator will cost far far more than buying from the grid unless you are nicking petrol from the company car. Folks who are out of work don't get a company car.

Edited by Vincero dOro

Why does everyone instantly assume that they are up to no good?? It's a running theme on this forum! Everyone's a bitter twisted doo gooder!

Has the OP asked his neighbour what the generator is for? Maybe they are doing internal works on the house, re-wiring or something else that needs the power to be turned off?

If you haven't done it already, start a conversation with your neighbour. People aren't as bad as you often think!!