Rat infestation PLEASE HELP!!

I have found two dead rats, one about 6 months ago and one the other day, outside my house, on the path. Should I be worried ?

They were probably killed by cats, I get rats killed by mine from time to time.

Rats are more than a nuisance - they like chewing through electrical insulation as I found once when trying to clear up an infestation.

They found a way up into the house through a small hole were the electrical wiring fed through to the consumer unit. They chewed through the insulation and it it sparked when I was examining the damage - luckily I was wearing rubber gloves at the time. I had to get an electrician to replace the wiring.

The only thing I've found that works reliably is poison. The council (and other pest exterminator services) have access to much stronger poison that you can buy over the counter, so it's worth getting them involved.

Just a thought, but have you any takeaways or food shops close to your home, as sometimes rat infestations can originate in these areas if the businesses concerned do not dispose of their waste properly. If this is the case then surely a call a call to Environmental Health along these lines might prove more beneficial.

I have dealt with rats and mice in and around my compost bins, firstly deny them any food source you can, as previously mentioned don't use poison if they are in wall spaces and under floorboards the smell if a rotting rat is not good. Get some glue pads and place a small piece of chocolate in the middle, worked every time for me, even if they are suspicious they get stuck checking it out. If you do use glue pads you should check them at least once every 24 hours to prevent unnecessary suffering.

The council said they would only do what we have already, the 3 visits are to set the traps check on them and take them away if they are not gone after 3 visits the charge an extra £30ish to leave the traps/bait down. They advised me to use poison even though they are in the walls as the other things haven't worked and block the know access points, they recommend neutradol for the smell IF! they die but like i said my rats are very clever unfortunately!

i have used sticky pads on the route they were taking from the boiler to get into the kitchen which i think it got stuck to the 1st night but somehow managed to escape and since then they didnt come down from boiler i know this because ive been living with flour on the sides so i knew when they had come down.

ive tried everything so far just praying the ultrasonic sound or poison works soon as people have mentioned it can take a while. i am going to contact the council again about next door but it isnt a council property and is in the process of being sold

if you can see them clearly/regularly and its safe to do so i can happily shoot them with my air rifle quickly and humanely. peanut butter and /or nutella spread on the place they run holds them long enough to shoot them, can also be done at night with lamp. obviously has to be safe to do so :-) pm if interested or of use

Do you have a home insurance policy? If so, check whether pest control is covered. We add it on as an optional extra and have used it once. If not, maybe consider adding it on to your policy next time you insure.

Right, you need SERIOUS RESPONSE

do not contact council they will be more expensive than independant company.

This happened to e some time ago and we rang council and it was expensive and all they did was put a few traps round that didnt work.

The thing that worked was ringing a private pest control company they came out immediately and were very reasonably priced and did a greta job . SO great they told me we would never have an issue agaon as they put strong poison down all the holes possible!

Definately pay for private pest control they have better equipment.

---------- Post added 16-06-2014 at 12:16 ----------

PS google pest control

My In-laws have Rats in their garden and have contacted the council who have now removed the free service they used to provide for rat control.

It appears you can only get free rat pest control if you are on benefits which they are not.

Does anyone know of the cheapest way to get rid of rats from their property?

we have different types of traps under the kitchen cupboards, under the decking and in the loft baited with peanut butter as well as poison down but the ones in the house are clever buggers and are avoiding them!

i have spoken to the council who charge £66 but have told me they would only do what we've done already so no point in them coming.

i really need advice on a good company to come and get rid of them for us now.

we have some ultrasonic plug ins ordered and next mission is to fill the holes inside to the boiler and sink then there stuck in the walls and loft.

I personally wouldn't block the hole if it's the point of entry into your home as that's the area most likely traps will work.

I would put traps close to the wall 7" or so near the entry hole and face the snap type traps towards the wall as they like to stay close to walls.

Rats will avoid anything new in their environment for ages so it will take a while to trap them under decking as opposed to in the kitchen where they come to find food so things aren't always in the same place.

They love cat/dog food peanut butter and chocolate spread so best to use in the traps.

Thanks for the offer ChrisT70 but i havent actually seen them for a bit just heard them in the walls and loft.

Thanks Jomie i will check that, never even thought to look.

Thanks jrowl we did this for about 4 weeks before blocking the hole managed to trap a baby rat and a mother rat that gave birth in the cage but nothing else. we still have the traps down just in case but nothings going in hopefully they've been scared off from outside!

thanks Tank123 can you remember who you used?