Music in Sheffield - Any good memories?

Hiya! I seem to have got myself involved in doing a bit of oral history research for the Sheffield city music festival (scheduled to happen September/October this year) and I was hoping you guys might be able to help me! Does anyone have any good memories or stories about music events, bands, pub sessions, songs etc. from Sheffield from anytime over the last century? (Does anyone remember songs they used to sing at school, or local songs they've heard?) Also, has anyone got any good ideas about any oral history projects about past music in Sheffield that they'd like to see done as part of the festival? I'd love to know what people think (and what people remember!), I've been given a bit of a blank canvas and I'm a bit overwhelmed! Cheers!! Love Spiky x

Ey up owd luv.

Look at the Blackswan thread, loads of stuff there.

I remember going to see Joe Cocker quite a bit.

The Fleur De Lys at Totley is one place that sticks in my mind.

Talking of memories, the drummer in Joe's band, Brian, I think if I remember rightly, used to work at the same place I did. Gee Decorators Merchants. He and his lovley wife Barbara, used to quite often give me a lift home from work .

Philharmonic Concerts in the City Hall. We have just had the 30th anniversary - 6th Feb 1979 - of when the Amsterdam Concertgebouw (as was) played there under Haitink - Mahler 5 no less, absolutely fantastic.

There have been many other great occasions from Barbirolli to the present day but credit for the Philharmonic series in former times - which are soon to be revived - was down to Enid Hattersley who served on the Libraries and Arts Committee, attracting artistes and orchestras from around the world at very affordable prices; the Hallé being the backbone of the seasons' series.

We have just had the 30th anniversary - 6th Feb 1979 - of when the Amsterdam Concertgebouw (as was) played there under Haitink - Mahler 5 no less, absolutely fantastic.

Wow I'd like to have heard that, do people bootleg classical?

I'll never forget the day I saw archive footage of the notorious Sheffield band The Electric Armpits playing onstage at some Sheffield venue wearing boiler suits. If only the footage were available on Youtube....or did I imagine it and it doesn't actually exist?

Little Spiky,a lot of people have posted a lot of stuff about music in Sheffield over the years and I don't think they'll want to repeat themselves.So,to get you started start searches for the Mojo club,the Esquire,Club 60,Down Broadway,the Wappentake,the Buccaneer,the Limit,Dave Berry,Joe Cocker,Frank White,Jimmy Crawford,the Stringfellow brothers,Sheffield City Hall,Groups of the 60s,Marples punk gigs.All these should turn up a lot more leads for you to follow.I'm sure I've left a lot out.Maybe some other people can give the lad a few pointers.The best of luck with your project.

Is little spiky still around? Its almost the 5th birthday of this thread:confused:

Well spotted Handypandy. By heck Sixteenfish must have been bored to read back to 2004! Was there nowt on telly last night?:hihi:

Heres some info about the new Punk book about the Sheffield area of the late 70's to early 80's..its out April 23rd and you can get it for a special pre-order price from now until that date..contact rotherpunk@aol.com

'Our Generation' is the unique and very first account of the Punk generation of Sheffield and the local region told by the author and over 150 different and varied voices of the era. From the pre - Punk days and all the way through the summer of hate of 1977 Punk and beyond, the story takes in the many classic gigs, the clothes worn and searches for Identity, the groups formed and broken, the fans, the records, the violence and laughs along with many photos, flyers, rare tickets and memorabilia of the era. The books main focal point is the Punk explosion and its effect on the local youth, but also takes in Mod revivalists, 2-tone fans, New Romantics and passing anecdotes from some of the many well known Punk groups who have played at famous local venues such as Doncaster Outlook, Sheffield Limit club, Rotherham Windmill and Sheffield Top rank. Meetings with some of the most noted Punk generation musicians such as Joe Strummer, Paul Weller and Sid Vicious are also refreshingly told by fans in their own words.

This story is about a time of euphoric excitement and life changing experiences when a proportion of our local youth cast caution to the wind and found themselves in the middle of the most explosive, controversial and influential musical revolution since pop music began...this is Sheffield's experience of that time...the story of 'Our Generation'

The book is 444 pages and full of many fantastic Rare and exclusive photographs from private collections, along with countless unique memories and experiences from those who were there at the time. Includes words from Charlie Harper (UK Subs), TV Smith (The Adverts), Jo Callis (The Rezillos) and many more musicians, fans, Punk Rockers, Mod Revivalists, New Romantics and Post-Punk fans. No corporations involved…this is a 'Do it yourself' Punk Rock production and the very first of its kind!

There will initially be a LTD edition run of a 1000 copies available.

Philharmonic Concerts in the City Hall. We have just had the 30th anniversary - 6th Feb 1979 - of when the Amsterdam Concertgebouw (as was) played there under Haitink - Mahler 5 no less, absolutely fantastic.

There have been many other great occasions from Barbirolli to the present day but credit for the Philharmonic series in former times - which are soon to be revived - was down to Enid Hattersley who served on the Libraries and Arts Committee, attracting artistes and orchestras from around the world at very affordable prices; the Hallé being the backbone of the seasons' series.

I remember going to see the Halle Orchestra with loads of other school kids for a matinee performance. Must have been around 1960/61. That's the only time I've ever heard a full orchestra play live - you don't just hear it - you feel it too. I remember when I was at Huntsmans Gardens every year a music group would come and perform for us. Does anyone remember the blind guy who (I think?) played the flute? He had what looked like a pair of binoculars that he would use to peer at the audience occasionally. There was also the 'big' lady that sang 'Cherry Ripe' every year they came. Must have been around 1957/58.