Charitable Donations

Just had some dude round from Cancer Research asking for donations, would never usually give these bookies any money but donating £2 per week direct debit does not sound too bad so set one up and am proud to know that I am contributing to this fine cause, even if they get billions in revenue every year with no chance in hell of ever healing the world !!!

I never give anything money wise to these organisations but lost a friend and have experienced cancer in my family so it is particularly close to my heart unlike other charitable black holes like the ones supporting poverty when it's the corrupt governing bodies that are responsible to foot the bill for their damaging social and sinister deeds :rolleyes:

So who do you give to nowadays and how do you react when someone crops up at your door?

I donate to Edale MRT, when i can. I'd never sign up to anything with the door to door people. Just give it straight to the charity, who'll then receive the full amount.

Nothing to door people, or anyone trying to get me on the street. I want to make an informed decision at a time of my choosing.

There was a door step thread a while back. But they are asked to leave as we have a sign on the door. I donate to charity when I want to.

I never donate to people at the door or in the street. I certainly would never give my bank details to an unexpected and uninvited caller!

I do give a couple of pounds a month through Payroll Giving to a homeless charity. I also donate when I want to e.g. if there is a particular appeal or cause that touches me. And I'll usually sponsor people for marathons, bungee jumps etc.

Never at the door or in the street. Give a yearly donation to Royal Manchester Children's Hospital and Macmillan Cancer Support.

For my sins I once worked for home fundraising in Sheffield for one week, every month they get a new charity to go door to door with and they obviously employ people to do this, the wage is minimum and every 5 sign ups you got you got £50 bonus I thi k it's something like the charity get 10% of the monthly direct debit after paying companies like homefundraising to get the sign ups

Just had some dude round from Cancer Research asking for donations, would never usually give these bookies any money but donating £2 per week direct debit does not sound too bad so set one up and am proud to know that I am contributing to this fine cause, even if they get billions in revenue every year with no chance in hell of ever healing the world !!!

I never give anything money wise to these organisations but lost a friend and have experienced cancer in my family so it is particularly close to my heart unlike other charitable black holes like the ones supporting poverty when it's the corrupt governing bodies that are responsible to foot the bill for their damaging social and sinister deeds :rolleyes:

So who do you give to nowadays and how do you react when someone crops up at your door?

The trouble is, once these charities have persuaded you to sign up, they keep coming back for more.

I have certain charities I support, not by direct debits but by spontaneous donations as and when I can afford it. I have also befriended a big issue seller who I see regularly. I don't buy the magazine, but give him small amounts, and extra at Christmas. He is just a nice young man, and no I don't think I am being fooled. I have known him for some years now.

I donate to Edale MRT, when i can. I'd never sign up to anything with the door to door people. Just give it straight to the charity, who'll then receive the full amount.

Same for me, If someone was truly passionate about a cause they wouldn't wait until someone talked them into it, and thus took a large percent of the donation for commission.

If it didn't pay the charities wouldn't sign up to it. Home Fundraising get a commission of the first 'so many' payments then the money goes directly to the charity. It earns millions for the charities that sign-up and they have hardly anything to put upfront apart from some merchandise.

You've got to love BEDROCK, someone knocks on his door and within minutes he's signing up to a monthly direct debit payment. Funny stuff.

If it didn't pay the charities wouldn't sign up to it. Home Fundraising get a commission of the first 'so many' payments then the money goes directly to the charity. It earns millions for the charities that sign-up and they have hardly anything to put upfront apart from some merchandise.

you should take a looking at some of these charity managers always on good suits and expensive cars, easy money in a way

how homefundraising explained it was that they are basically getting something for nothing even after paying for the company to get the sign ups