Interesting way to cook a chicken?

Have a good looking free range chicken for dinner tonight, and wondering what to do with it.

I'd rather not roast it, because my oven is rather uneven throughout, so ideally something that involves jointing the chicken.

I have a hot smoker so any recipes that might benefit from woodsmoke and give me an excuse to fire it up would be good :D

I have a plethora of herbs, spices and condiments to use so no boundaries really.

Any suggestions?

What did you do with it in the end?

A good free range chicken is my idea of heaven but I only get them occasionally because my OH is veggie and there is only so much leftovers I can fit in the freezer.

If I have a few nights on my own I'll roast it first night then use leftovers for a chicken and mushroom pie, a curry, and a tagine with almonds, safron, lemon and couscous.

I jointed it, skinned the breasts, and slathered american mustard all over all the pieces. I wrapped the skinless, mustard slathered breasts in streaky bacon, then salt and peppered everything. Finally I dumped a generous dollop of honey all over everything to give it a good glaze.

Set the kettle up two-zone style and put the meat on the other side from the coals for 40 minutes before finishing them on the hot side to crisp up.

Once the chicken was done and resting, I blasted two racks of baby back ribs that I had already cooked sous-vide so they just wanted saucing and hot-grilling.

All this cooked over apple wood smoke. Beautiful stuff, probably second only to hickory for its effect on chicken.

Crusty bread and caesar salad on the side.

---------- Post added 13-06-2014 at 07:47 ----------

PS, If anyone out there is going "ewwww, mustard! I hate mustard!".....

It took my US barbecue nut friends a long time to convince me to try using mustard in this way. I hated the stuff, couldn't even smell it. But seriously, slather some on your chicken (the American stuff) and you will be blown away. You don't taste mustard, you just taste TASTY.

Doesn't require bravery that recipe, it doesnt look taxing or outlandish in taste / spice, and it does indeed sound delicious!

Only problem is - where the heck can you buy tapioca leaves?