Passport Application Delays

My new passport was delivered Thursday evening, three weeks and five days after I sent it off. Apparently the problem is more for people living overseas applying for a British passport rather than British citizens who live in the UK applying for one.

My wife sent hers in 5 weeks ago and we're still waiting. We don't travel until September, so nowhere near a bad situation yet - but there is a wait.

I'm more insulted that HM Passport Office tried to deny there was a problem in the 1st place.

My wife sent hers in 5 weeks ago and we're still waiting. We don't travel until September, so nowhere near a bad situation yet - but there is a wait.

I'm more insulted that HM Passport Office tried to deny there was a problem in the 1st place.

I would draw the distinction between HM passport management and the government as opposed to the people that work there. Its not he workers fault that hundreds of their colleagues were sacked a few years ago to save money.

I'm going to put my passport in for renewal tomorrow. Since I have to fly to work and always need my passport to travel I may get an extra 3 weeks off work...

I've asked the airlines if I can fly without photo ID and they say no.

The really major problems are for British citizens overseas. They've closed all of the overseas offices so passport applications must be sent to the UK for processing - there are reports of this taking several months.

It's all very well saying don't book a trip without a valid passport (on the face of it very sensible advice); but if you're overseas and have to travel regularly for work purposes (or just need your official ID) can you afford to have no passport at all for several months, having sent your old one back for renewal?. In the past they could travel to the overseas passport office and pay for the immediate processing - now there is no option but to send it here and wait. There have been reports of people still waiting after 6 months - that is unacceptable.

Then that is your fault, not the problem of the passport office despite the delays.

So you’ve never forgotten something important your whole life?

In this context the OP was merely concerned and looking for advice or reassurance – you comment was neither and thus utterly pointless, why you felt the need to post your smug ideals I have no idea.

I hope the OP gets their passport in time to be honest I would have thought you would be fine for the 20th July, fingers crossed for you.

Applied for mine and my husbands passport renewal at the beginning of June. (just realising that our passports needed renewing,which is our fault). Then it comes on the News regarding all the delays at the passport office!! Always in the past I have used Post Office Check and Send, receiving passports back in 10 days, so really worried now, as our holidays which we booked last year, starts on 27 June. Rang passport office but they said they would ring me back, no joy, they Never rang back, that has happened twice now. Advice needed please? Thankyou

They're not going to fast track your passport for you if you just ring up.

You send the passport out by Tracked, Recorded delivery so you at least know they have it there right??

Ring them again, don't let them fob you off with the old 'ring back' pledge.

but don't expect any date or promise you will get your passports.

They will probably tell you the passports are being processed, and thats it.

---------- Post added 16-06-2014 at 17:12 ----------

Really you've used the wrong service, in such a short time-frame you should have paid for the fast track or the premium service:

https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgently

Yes I've rung them twice and they've said they would get someone to ring back!! Yes if we had known there were these delays we would have used fast track service, but in hindsight it looks as though we wil just have to wait and see if they turn up!, which is really annoying, Will probably get in contact in a couple of days for an update, and go from there!

---------- Post added 16-06-2014 at 17:22 ----------

Also no interviews/appointments available at Durham for 3 weeks!

You had less than a month to get new passports for your holiday.

Even then you should have paid extra for the fast track service.

Hope they arrive in time, I expect it's not as bad as the media are making out.

Kid's passport turned up this morning, so the delay (from the notional 3 weeks lead time) in our case has been about 2 extra weeks.

Not sure if the Mrs sent it under the fast track procedure (I don't think she did) but she definitely used the Check & Send procedure at the Post office, with Special Delivery.

My new passport was delivered Thursday evening, three weeks and five days after I sent it off. Apparently the problem is more for people living overseas applying for a British passport rather than British citizens who live in the UK applying for one
Sounds like there's a glitch in the 'remote' passport issuing side of things, maybe.

I'm not aware of how long the procedure usually take for overseas Brits applying for a new passport or renewing, but with reference to -

<...> Mine did need renewing by the end of May. I could not renew it beforehand because I had to use it on and off for business right until early May. Went down to the French Consulate in London for the application procedure (PITA) in early May, then my brand new passport was waiting for me to pick it up at the local Honorary Consul 14 days later.<...>
after my application in London, the file was sent to France, my new passport was made in France, then shipped to the Consulate in London, then shipped to the local Honorary Consul.

The assistant in London told me at the time it would take 10 days, and sure enough I got an automated SMS telling me my passport was ready for collection (from London) on the morning of the 11th day (it took 3 extra days for them to send it to the local Consul).

Tentacular, cumbersome and expensive as it may be, something to be said for the French civil service - I was impressed :D

...Now, if only they'd make the renewal application procedure more straightforward and uncomplicated :hihi:

Edited by L00b

See I don't get people like the OP. I always check my passport BEFORE I book the holiday. If it needs renewing then it goes off BEFORE I book.

But then again I possess a rare personality trait, "common" sense.

Thank you for your opinion - I bow to your superior common sense. I have been travelling with work regularly and at short notice over the past 3 months and this was the first accasion I could be without a passport in my posession.

I will take on board your comments for future !!!