Passport Application Delays

Is anyone subject to the delays that are being reported in the news last couple of days .

I applied for a renewal last week. Did it online Monday and posted off the pics etc on Tuesday. Been advised it is currently been processed.

We go on holiday 20th July so not panicking yet !

I believe they'll be getting agency staff in to mess everything up before legging it

Is anyone subject to the delays that are being reported in the news last couple of days .

I applied for a renewal last week. Did it online Monday and posted off the pics etc on Tuesday. Been advised it is currently been processed.

We go on holiday 20th July so not panicking yet !

the website quotes 3 weeks to process. I personally would not consider anything less than 6 - 8 weeks to be safe.

Agree with above that you are cutting it close. Not sure theres a lot you cna do once its being processed. Only thing in your favour is that the government are a bit embarassed by it all so will throwi money at it. They might not have sacked people in the first place.

See I don't get people like the OP. I always check my passport BEFORE I book the holiday. If it needs renewing then it goes off BEFORE I book.

But then again I possess a rare personality trait, "common" sense.

See I don't get people like the OP. I always check my passport BEFORE I book the holiday. If it needs renewing then it goes off BEFORE I book.

Bit harsh. You don't know when the OP first booked their hols, and AFAIR there were no indication of a backlog problem at the passport office until earlier this week.

We booked our July hols in Feb.

Mine did need renewing by the end of May. I could not renew it beforehand because I had to use it on and off for business right until early May. Went down to the French Consulate in London for the application procedure (PITA) in early May, then my brand new passport was waiting for me to pick it up at the local Honorary Consul 14 days later.

Our kid's UK passport did not need renewing until early September, but she needed it until late April. To play it safe we applied to renew her passport just over 3 weeks ago (with the Special Delivery option), with an expected date of delivery of around now (according to timescales published by the very department in question), i.e. a full month before we are due to go. Seems commonsensical enough to me.

Neither when we booked the hols, nor up to 3 weeks ago, was there any indication anywhere of a backlog problem. The first I became aware of it (well, of a potential problem) was last Friday, completely coincidentally, as only because our neighbours were getting frantic about their own kid's passport still not turned up - there was still nothing in the media about it then.

Our kid's passport still not here, btw.

Edited by L00b

I don't get it either, I make sure I have a valid passport at all times even if no trips are planned for the foreseeable future, just in case.

We bow down to the great one with the sense that is common…… but not that much sense to realise they are smug and annoying.

Ever think that they may have just forgot – life sometimes gets a bit hectic – and no I am not one of those caught up in this delay.

We bow down to the great one with the sense that is common…… but not that much sense to realise they are smug and annoying.

Ever think that they may have just forgot – life sometimes gets a bit hectic – and no I am not one of those caught up in this delay.

Then that is your fault, not the problem of the passport office despite the delays.

Yes, I posted something quite a while back now about the memory loss. The doc has sent him for all sorts of tests, which we've had to force him to go to, with allegations that we're conspiring against him for his stuff/money (of which he's got none) and he's come out with various other paranoid delusions like "they're" watching him so he's stuck in the house. He's walked out on a few appts but seemingly this isn't raising red flags with the doc.

My Nan has dementia and it was a very quick decline for her too, it was seeing it happen to her that sorta got me to see the signs with Dad.

Then that is your fault, not the problem of the passport office despite the delays.

Sometimes there are valid reasons for forgetfulness.

Sometimes there are valid reasons for forgetfulness.

Really? You're gonna bring my Dad's mental health issues into this? That's a low blow even for you.

You can renew your passport up to 9 months before its expiry date, the time remaining is added to your new passport. So it may be worth putting a note in your passport to this effect thus avoiding some of the current problems.

https://www.gov.uk/renew-adult-passport