Unknown/Private calls?

Seem to be getting a few missed calls registered as 'Unknown number', what's the difference between 'Unknown' and 'Private' numbers?

I think if it comes up unknown then the person calling u is pressing 141 first to keep the number private

I get a lot of them, apparently a lot of these pestering PPI and sales and phishing company's have a sort of random phone number ringing system they just keep dialing the phone numbers until someone answers...

I get a lot of them, apparently a lot of these pestering PPI and sales and phishing company's have a sort of random phone number ringing system they just keep dialing the phone numbers until someone answers...

It's called an autodialer ... ask Homer Simpson

Try the Telephone Preference Service? It's free! See http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html

I kept getting call after call from Market Research (http://www.marketreseach.co.uk) and on every occasion I picked the phone up it went dead. I got so fed up with it that I called them several times and then hung up when they answered. On the final time I rung I spoke to the lady on the phone and asked her to help me with some market research. I told her I was doing some research in to companies that cold call people and then hang up, just like the company she works for. It was then she realised I was having a pop at her and her company. I told her I was registered with the TPS and that she was to remove my phone number from their list which she said she would do.

According to their web site they are allowed to call people who are ex-directory or registered with the TPS

Some telecom suppliers (e.g. TalkTalk) offer an option to block:

a. all anonymised calls; and

b. customer-specified numbers.

We "subscribe" to the telephone preference service. It's complete crap, and just does not work, for us anyway.

Angel1

It's only as good as the people who subscribe to it are at policing it. Report offenders and if they have been found to offend regularly they will be dealt with.

According to their web site they are allowed to call people who are ex-directory or registered with the TPS

Yup they can. But once you tell them you consider such calls to be harrassing you they have to stop or they fall foul of the harrassment act. That stops them dead.

I answered one today, apparently I was in a car crash, suffered whiplash on a bus (I'm not from Birmingham) and hurt my arm in an accident (today). Unfortunately the bloke on the other end of the phone couldn't tell me how I'd hurt my arm