Future of train services in the north - government consultation

Issue with no conductors on northern rail? Who is going to put the ramp out for wheelchair users? No all platforms are yet accessible to wheelchairs so it'll be years before the train and platform are aligned as such that wheelchairs can wheel on and off without a guard to assist.

They already do it on the Leeds to Skipton commuter line but all the stations are manned and have 2 or 3 ticket inspectors, I would assume these guys can also deal with accessibility issues. This policy might not apply to South Yorkshire apart from the main town and city stations they are nearly all unmanned.

Saving money by cutting jobs such as conductors, then say "hey the jobmarket need improving we need more jobs".

Business and politics have gone beserk, one hand cuts the jobs while the other says we need more jobs while the mouth screams that economy needs to grow.

Looks like the economy is not for people, now economy comes first people second.

Keep old fashioned antique trains on the tracks, my family mention they feel like some romantic feeling they are in sixties when they are on these northern trains.

The public consultation closed on the 18th August, it may still be worth writing to your MP if you feel strongly on the issue though.

It seems clear that the ministers in this Condem government believe rail fares on Northern are too cheap to justify any investment in rolling stock, it is also clear they believe a lot of fares are not getting collected hence all the new ticket restrictions and talks of fare increases, service cuts and efficiencies.

---------- Post added 04-09-2014 at 11:16 ----------

meanwhile in London on South West Trains.....

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/business/news/stagecoach-gives-green-light-to-210-million-train-order-1.557195

An announcement has been made regarding rolling stock in the North of England for the remainder of the current Northern Rail and Transpennine Express franchises.

You will recall the small fleet of class 170 'Turbostar' two car diesels that First Transpennine have are moving to Chiltern Railways from this May.

This leaves FTPE with their fleet of class 185 'Pennine' three car diesels along with the new electric trains they have for the Manchester-Scotland route.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-plan-to-secure-rail-services-for-the-north

Any news when those buses finally get ditched by Northern Rail Andy?

Any news when those buses finally get ditched by Northern Rail Andy?

that is longer term into the new franchises. It will rely on rolling stock cascades following the completion of various electrification projects.

And one of Northerns pacers made it's way to Derby yesterday to be used in Studies on how to extend the life of the pacers beyond 2019 when the new disability rules come into force.

Having No Conductors on trains is a big health & safety issue to me , and should be for all the travelling rail public paying customers !! We paying these private rail companies to run our trains is the biggest balls up governments have made , East coast been making you money taxpayers !! . For me the past 30 years since the state destruction of heavy industry up north has left us with not very good transport links, I think around Europe it must be a mickey take between there rail industry , when we have 3 major northern cities across the pennies badly connected for this day and age !!!!

Agreed. And I would include the towns between them. I live slap bang in the middle of these three northern cities yet I can't even get to one of them directly by public transport. And whilst I can get to the others in about half an hour during the day, you can forget it at night as services all but dry up before 11pm. This makes going to a concert, theatre or even having a decent night out a bit of a lottery. You really do not find this problem in London, or even Greater Manchester.

Agreed. And I would include the towns between them. I live slap bang in the middle of these three northern cities yet I can't even get to one of them directly by public transport. And whilst I can get to the others in about half an hour during the day, you can forget it at night as services all but dry up before 11pm. This makes going to a concert, theatre or even having a decent night out a bit of a lottery. You really do not find this problem in London, or even Greater Manchester.

Try and get between Rochdale and Oldham after 11pm, or Bolton/Bury, the same problems exist.

Granted there are some Night buses and trams run later, but only on Friday and Saturdays and Manchester is the hub for the buses, dont think any night buses run between the towns.

Try and get between Rochdale and Oldham after 11pm, or Bolton/Bury, the same problems exist.

Granted there are some Night buses and trams run later, but only on Friday and Saturdays and Manchester is the hub for the buses, dont think any night buses run between the towns.

I get your point, but do people actually go from Bolton to Bury for a night out? Or Rochdale to Oldham? Apologies if they do because I don't know the areas. So for me that seems to be like going from Barnsley to Doncaster - more of the same. Much more likely to venture into the bigger cities for a concert or similar. And in South/West Yorkshire even that seems largely impossible. As for getting across to Manchester in remotely good time - forget it!

I get your point, but do people actually go from Bolton to Bury for a night out? Or Rochdale to Oldham?

Well I did when I lived there. Unless you got the last train at 11.45ish, it was a bomb in a taxi.

Should be a little better these days though given the Metrolink runs until 1am at the weekend.

Edited by No User Name

Well I did when I lived there. Unless you got the last train at 11.45ish, it was a bomb in a taxi.

Should be a little better these days though given the Metrolink runs until 1am at the weekend.

11.45??? Think yourself blessed! Last train from Sheffield to Barnsley on any weekend night is 10.41. From Leeds it's 9.37 unless you want to take an hour and a half going via Huddersfield! God knows why. Maybe a history of drunken people travelling back? But surely this happens in other areas? Yet they still have the option.