Makeshift Macro

Been trying this out yesterday afternoon taking some test macro shots, an old Vivitar remote flash grip with a wireless flash set up and remote release sellotaped to the grip, works good, until I can get a Nikon R1C1 , I used extension tubes and Nikon 18 -105mm lens.

WP_000116.jpg

Two of the shots I took. I slipped up as the camera set the iso to 25600 'cause it was on manual with the iso on auto and the flash is not i-TTL, I used Lightroom to reduce the noise. Even though I shoot raw and edit in Lightroom detail was lost due to the high iso.

Rose-1.jpg

leaves.jpg

---------- Post added 11-06-2014 at 18:51 ----------

I modified the flash grip and got rid of the sellotape ....I thought it was a bit "tacky"

flashgrip.jpg

Edited by KenL60

Shame you lost the sharpness due to the noise reduction, you should be able to get some really sharp shots with that rig if you set the camera up right. If you wanna go *really* magnified, pick up a reversing ring for your lens! Supermacro!

Yeah, I'm still experimenting, I've not done much macro stuff for a long time, and even then not that much, a 105mm f2.8 Nikon micro lens is on the wish list. I'm also thinking about a cheaper 50mm lens and a reversing ring as you suggest.

The trouble with the latter set up is how close to the subject you are, ok for static things and plants etc indoors, but living things, insects, a bit more difficult, as they're off when the see you coming, lol

The trouble with the latter set up is how close to the subject you are, ok for static things and plants etc indoors, but living things, insects, a bit more difficult, as they're off when the see you coming, lol

with the little critters it can be best to get them first thing in the morning as many first come out to sit and warm up in the sunlight .

other times its pure luck that you get a great butterfly or bug that sits still .

some spiders are also great as they will just pose in the middel of a web :hihi:

like this at around 6am my garden is very active with warming up bugs taken with 18-55mm and cropped

14603132305_936c01db78_b.jpggreen bottle fly by sheffieldsimmy, on Flickr

Good suggestion re the early morning. Nice shot of the Green bottle.

I took this in the afternoon, it was flittering round the garden with one or two others and it came to rest on this leaf for a few seconds. I took this using the above set up but with a 55-300mm lens, with this lens and the extension tubes I can fill the frame with a butterfly and smaller critters from 2 or 3 feet away.

Butterfly-1.jpg