10% of the NHS budget spent on diabetes

How can you abuse a service that provides healthcare? Deliberately get ill or injured?

You can fly over from Africa, heavily pregnant and get the NHS to sort them out.

Hardly an argument for dismantling the NHS, it's just an argument for only treating residents from countries with reciprocal arrangements or those with valid insurance or means of payment.

British citizens should still get treatment FaPOS

Why the furore? Approx 10% of the population has diabetes, so 10% of the budget sounds like 'fair dos' to me, and pretty proportionate.

Not all diabetes is caused by being overweight or sedentary. Type I diabetes, particularly, seems to be linked very strongly to the patient having autoimmune issues. Other autoimmune conditions are linked, such as coeliac disease, rheumatoid arthritis, thyroid problems, and uveitis, to name but a few.

How can you abuse a service that provides healthcare? Deliberately get ill or injured?

ok, its only a snapshot, but the last time I was in a and e there were a number of people who were completely wasting the nurses time, one came in because he had a cough! And what about the drunks, they infest a and departments.completely wasting time and nhs money.

Thank goodness for the Welfare State and in particular for the NHS.

Treatment should be on the basis of need -and not on lifestyle. Long may the NHS reign . To keep treatment within the NHS based on the patients needs, requires the utmost vigilance .

None of them are in Europe. We cannot afford the one we have, something will have to give, don't take my word for it ask Frank Field.

We can afford it though. There's plenty of other avenues of spending 5 hat would be cut before we see the NHS go under. Free health care is something that other countries wish they had, or something that the residents of other countries wish they had.

We can afford it though. There's plenty of other avenues of spending 5 hat would be cut before we see the NHS go under. Free health care is something that other countries wish they had, or something that the residents of other countries wish they had.

Being able to afford it is not an excuse for wasting taxpayers money. One step that could be taken is making drunks pay for the treatment they receive. Go to any A&E on a Friday/Saturday night and look at the resources being wasted. look at the abuse and danger staff face.

Take it a step further, anyone needing A&E services is automatically charged £10, reclaimable if the doctor agrees the need is genuine. My estimate is that the use of A&E services would fall by about 20%. An estimate shared by front line people I know.

Its time to stop pussy footing around this issue. The NHS is in mortal danger and will fail unless it stops being abused by those who are perfectly capable of looking after themselves and use the NHS as a prop to their lifestyle choices, the drunks, smokers and obese have to know that the party is over.

ok, its only a snapshot, but the last time I was in a and e there were a number of people who were completely wasting the nurses time, one came in because he had a cough! And what about the drunks, they infest a and departments.completely wasting time and nhs money.

There was a study about this recently, very few people actually make nuisance visits to A&E, and A&E is only a minor part of the NHS.

---------- Post added 12-06-2014 at 07:40 ----------

Being able to afford it is not an excuse for wasting taxpayers money. One step that could be taken is making drunks pay for the treatment they receive. Go to any A&E on a Friday/Saturday night and look at the resources being wasted. look at the abuse and danger staff face.

Take it a step further, anyone needing A&E services is automatically charged £10, reclaimable if the doctor agrees the need is genuine. My estimate is that the use of A&E services would fall by about 20%. An estimate shared by front line people I know.

Its time to stop pussy footing around this issue. The NHS is in mortal danger and will fail unless it stops being abused by those who are perfectly capable of looking after themselves and use the NHS as a prop to their lifestyle choices, the drunks, smokers and obese have to know that the party is over.

And those that do sport as well, they know they're risking injury.

And the party at fault in a road accident, it's their own fault.

In fact, with the exception of acts of god and bacterial or viral diseases, pretty much everything is down to behaviour.

The NHS is for treating people with health issues, that includes injuries.

If you're talking about pussy footing around the subject, lets not spend billions on a sodding train that will do sod all but get people to London faster and rip up the countryside.

Lets not spend billions on pointless nuclear weapons.

What is a drunk though? Is it somebody who has:

Drunk so much alcohol they cant ambulate

Drunk a lot of alcohol and been assaulted

Drunk some alcohol and been assaulted

Drunk a lot of alcohol and had chest pains

Drunk a small amount of alcohol and had chest pains

Where is the line drawn? There can be non drink related problems in someone who is drunk. And how do you know they are drunk until they are treated- hypoxic or hypoglycemic until proven otherwise.

And how many wouldnt access help as they are worried about the cost? In particular the older in society, for example little Mavis sat in her flat convincing herself those chest pains probably are indigestion and she cant afford to spend £10 sorting out indigestion. As well as a section of society who abuse A&E there is a section who suffer in silence as they "dont want to bother anybody", these would be more affected by a charging system IMO

The reason diabetes is on the up is less to do with obesity than it is to do with age. Again, this is an issue related to the aging population and has little to do with the headlines people like tagging onto stuff like this about abuse of the service and so on.

The reason diabetes is on the up is less to do with obesity than it is to do with age. Again, this is an issue related to the aging population and has little to do with the headlines people like tagging onto stuff like this about abuse of the service and so on.

We can't stop people getting old, but we can encourage young people to lead an healthier life style so that when they do get old they don't become such a burden on everyone else. An healthy younger generation will also mean more resources available for them when they get old.