10% of the NHS budget spent on diabetes

Interesting.

So I can keep eating my snickers and putting sugar in my coffee, so long as don't get fat. Excellent news.

Snickers aren't just sugary, they've got a fair amount of fat in as well.

That's part of the problem, people see foods as being bad due to sugar, when those foods have high fat content.

Very few snacks/processed foods/sweets are just sugar, or even mainly sugar- the only ones that comes to mind are the 'boiled sweets' and variations like mints (eg mint imperials, glacier mints: basically the 'hard' mints; the soft ones have fat content).

I know this because I made a choice to subsist by getting the majority of my daily calorific intake from raw fruit, along with a lesser quantity of other vegetable/plant sources, along with a small amount of 'treats'.

Having decided that my priority was to cut all fats/oils to an absolute mimimum, but also having decided that I had no issue with sugar, I went in search of treats that contained sugar and no fat.

I was surprised to find that there are very little foods/snacks that contain sugar and zero fat- boiled sweets and (some) mints being it, apparently.

((just as a quick mention, I'll give the results, after over six months of eating as much (usually more) unprocessed fruits/plants as I want, with small amounts of processed sugary treats, and very little fat, I'm feeling very happy, healthy, and shed 2 stone to reach an easily maintainable lean body weight of 11 stone, whilst undergoing zero hunger/deprivation and without demonising refined sugar (I've demonised fat)). And at the same time, following a online internet community of individuals who are living the same spectacular results.)

So often, when processed foods high in sugar are demonised, it could simply be a correlation effect, with the actual harm being done by the fat content that accompanies the sugar in most such snacks.

Personally, I don't reckon a bit of sugar in your coffee is going to cause any harm. The coffee itself however.... that might be another story :)

They could do many things. But you aren't arguing that you would make it harder for the poor to participate in sport.

And in reality this would translate into poorer health and higher costs.

Or it may encourage them to work hard, earn money and pay for thier children and themselves leisur activities.

Or it may encourage them to work hard, earn money and pay for thier children and themselves leisur activities.

Correctamundo, they could even buy a dictionary.

Please do not forget the amount of interest and maintenance payments go out of the NHS budget to the banks to pay for the wonderful PFI swindles they sold to a bunch of ignorant politicians.

As a society if we decided that everyone is entitled to healthcare then everyone is entitled to healthcare.

There is no universal set of entitlements to refer to to claim that it's a "right to which people aren't entitled".

And as a measure of a supposedly civilised society, healthcare free at the point of provision is IMO a very important entitlement.

I'm all for healthcare.

But without having everyone entitled to housing. Entitlement to healthcare isn't really of much use. It will hardly ensure our society is civilised.

Said it before will say it again, The amount of booz and fags I do a day has paid for my hospital bed 100 fold over the years! I want a private side room with a big TV when I need it. I have paid for it and demand it!

Said it before will say it again, The amount of booz and fags I do a day has paid for my hospital bed 100 fold over the years! I want a private side room with a big TV when I need it. I have paid for it and demand it!

There we have it, a perfect example of a culture of entitlement.

---------- Post added 14-06-2014 at 06:38 ----------

I'm all for healthcare.

But without having everyone entitled to housing. Entitlement to healthcare isn't really of much use. It will hardly ensure our society is civilised.

it does show our society to be dependent and weak, this is not cicilised, it is decay and decline.

---------- Post added 14-06-2014 at 06:39 ----------

Please do not forget the amount of interest and maintenance payments go out of the NHS budget to the banks to pay for the wonderful PFI swindles they sold to a bunch of ignorant politicians.

Labour politicians.

---------- Post added 14-06-2014 at 06:42 ----------

Correctamundo, they could even buy a dictionary.

Thanks Stan, I left an e off, I am using a tablet, at least im not taking them.

heres another, ******.

That's not encouragement, it's punishment.

You can't use access to healthcare as a stick to 'encourage' the poor to stop being poor.

Since many of those suffering with Type 2 diabetes do so due to obesity and considering that it is mainly avoidable and reversible - should those who are overweight have more support and encouragement to improve their diet and take more exercise and be refused NHS care until they do so ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-27712381

excuse me not seeing to well BUT that is the most uninformed sand silly statement i have ever heard it as been long since shown from all the medical uns/ that type 2 is 90% hormone related testoserone in men over 45 and in female those who have been on replacment very rare get type 2 this is not counting the very obest for lots of info just Google diabetes and testosterone and lots of info will pop up some from Sheffield and Bradford unis excuse typos not seeing what i type:cool::cool:

excuse me not seeing to well BUT that is the most uninformed sand silly statement i have ever heard it as been long since shown from all the medical uns/ that type 2 is 90% hormone related testoserone in men over 45 and in female those who have been on replacment very rare get type 2 this is not counting the very obest for lots of info just Google diabetes and testosterone and lots of info will pop up some from Sheffield and Bradford unis excuse typos not seeing what i type:cool::cool:

Firstly, it was a question - not a statement.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Diabetes-type2/Pages/Causes.aspx

Read and learn

http://www.diabetes.org.uk/About_us/News_Landing_Page/Diabetes-and-obesity-rates-soar/

And this http://www.diabetes.co.uk/body/testosterone-and-diabetes.html

There is a link between Type 2 diabetes and low testosterone levels but your figures are way off.

Edited by Daven

Thanks Stan, I left an e off, I am using a tablet, at least im not taking them.

heres another, ******.

You could be doing something much worse, like drinking alcohol!

Since many of those suffering with Type 2 diabetes do so due to obesity and considering that it is mainly avoidable and reversible - should those who are overweight have more support and encouragement to improve their diet and take more exercise and be refused NHS care until they do so ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-27712381

Oooh the caring face of the NHS.

No, no one should be refused treatment for anything. No one should be refused life saving or prolonging drugs because they cost a few pence more a day than some pen pusher thinks they should allow.

'Support' and 'encouragement' - nice words - pity they are followed up by such a vile suggestion.

Do you think people want to be fat?

And your simplistic post proves you know very little about the obesity epidemic.

The main part of the problem is 'fatcist' thinking, like in your post. Fat people tend to stick two fingers up at it, and rightly so.

Make the drinkers who fall over on a saturday night pay for their care first, and the ones who 'trip' over the pavements, make them pay out of their 'compo', and the ones who knowingly do stupid things, like going hiking in flip flops! - stop picking on the fat, find some other victims to bully.

Oh, and don't forget the anorexics, after all, that's self-inflicted too.:loopy::loopy: