Funny and illogical sayings of mothers!!

Mum would say tha thinks I've come up canal ont banana boat if I was trying to pull wool over her eyes.

My mum's family always called Dykes Lane at Malin Bridge "Boulder Hill" (was that a former name, I wonder)

If you look in the modern A-Z it is still labelled as such!

As are lots of others that seem to be rarely used.

If you look in the modern A-Z it is still labelled as such!

As are lots of others that seem to be rarely used.

so what ya all saying there's a lot of very strange girls come from Sheffield:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Mam, wheres me dad.

he's run off wi a black woman- (yep I know)

Mam, can you do this for me

I'll fan thi feet for tuppence.

Mam, I'm going to do this that and other.

I've heard ducks fart afore.

Mam where you going

Bunkly Thunks

Never found out where that was, if anybody know could you pm me the postcode,lol

Mum would say tha thinks I've come up canal ont banana boat if I was trying to pull wool over her eyes.

"Dost tha think I came down isn't last shower o' rain?" Was my mothers comment when we were trying to 'flannel' her.

My gran would say "Aah'm not so green as I'm cabbage-looking!"

If you look in the modern A-Z it is still labelled as such! As are lots of others that seem to be rarely used.
Yes indeed; my grandma always referred to the lower part of Netherthorpe as "Port Mahon" (which she pronounced, bless her, in true Sheffield style something like "puat mee-ON".:)) and it is still shown as such on modern maps, see here http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/twigmore/Portmahon.jpg. In fact the name also survives on a pillar box opposite Ray Hudson's former newsagents shop.

Yes indeed; my grandma always referred to the lower part of Netherthorpe as "Port Mahon" (which she pronounced, bless her, in true Sheffield style something like "puat mee-ON".:)) and it is still shown as such on modern maps, see here http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/twigmore/Portmahon.jpg. In fact the name also survives on a pillar box opposite Ray Hudson's former newsagents shop.

I've seen that before, but never ever heard anyone refer to it as that. It's basically the ponderossa.

Another remembered!

If could see perfectly what my father was doing doing, (cleaning the car etc) If I asked him what he was doing the reply was always 'riding a bike'

My Gran used to say standing there like one of Lewis's (reference to a model in the window of the store in Liverpool!)

She's no better than she ought to be. I always loved that one, never sure what it meant...............

I've seen that before, but never ever heard anyone refer to it as that. It's basically the ponderossa.

No, ash, port Mahon runs from the paper shop along the upper part of meadow street, up to the dual carriage way. My (surviving, not the deceased one!) ex hubby's great grandparents were shopkeepers on, if I remember correctly, the corner of netherthorpe place, in the 1900s and that area was classed as port Mahon.

Many Irish immigrants settled there around 150 years to 100 years ago. My hub's family came from Tipperary. They were mostly associated with the Catholic parish of St Vincent's.

The area of PM finished roughly at the road which goes up the hill by the white hart pub (Saint Philips road?)it didn't extend as far as to the ponderosa. (Which was not as extensive an open area as it is today. Up to the 1950s slum clearances, it was quite built-upon) I don't think PM went any further than Scotland street on the way back to the city centre.

Watery st., where the Medico-legal centre is, now may have just come under PM.

...If could see perfectly what my father was doing doing, (cleaning the car etc) If I asked him what he was doing the reply was always 'riding a bike'...
My mother would say "peggin' a rug"..:)

---------- Post added 29-06-2014 at 12:28 ----------

No, ash, port Mahon runs from the paper shop along the upper part of meadow street, up to the dual carriage way...
The name Port Mahon applies to this area in general, but originally it was the name of the lower part of the long-demolished Watery Lane. See an article that I wrote some years ago, which includes a map: http://www.asch.ndirect.co.uk/sps/documents/An%20Old%20Sheffield%20Post%20Office.pdf Edited by hillsbro

I remember being told by a mate at School that his sister was in the puddin club and his mother was having Kittens ?

All very confusing ......:huh:

Edited by grinder

About someone who was lucky my mum would say "If he fell off Burton's he'd fall into a new suit"