Top of Duke Street, S2, pre-1960s

I used to go to Wavy Davies in 1958 on my way home from work,your right about the Tony Curtis I still have it.He moved to Oughtibridge from there.

There's a bloke on Manor Park who is perhaps in his sixties who has the most immaculate Tony Curtis and D.A., he even has the chiselled sideburns to go with it.

When I see him it's just like going back to the fifties.

There's a bloke on Manor Park who is perhaps in his sixties who has the most immaculate Tony Curtis and D.A., he even has the chiselled sideburns to go with it.

When I see him it's just like going back to the fifties.

:) rossy you will remember the Bughut cinema on South St then.:)Owl.

The Park Cinema.there were so few went in just before it closed down that the lady from the box office used to come up to the balcony to ask if you wanted an ice cream because she didn't want to carry the tray up if no one was going to buy one.

The other one on Duke St. Was the Norfolk they had double seats on the back row of the balcony which were perfect for a bit of "manking":hihi:

In 1948 I was on holiday with my parents at Butlins Skegness. They met up with a couple from Sheffield. They hid two children Carl & Hazel, like me they will be in their 70's now. For quite a while we used to meet at their home in Duke Street flats. All good things come to and end.

I was born on Bungay Street in 1946 and went to Park School as well taking regular visits to the Park and Norfolk cinemas. My first memory of Duke Street was being taken to the library by my parents. Can't quite remember the librarians name Miss Brookbanks (?) who worked there for many years.

I was born on Bungay Street in 1946 and went to Park School as well taking regular visits to the Park and Norfolk cinemas. My first memory of Duke Street was being taken to the library by my parents. Can't quite remember the librarians name Miss Brookbanks (?) who worked there for many years.

Where abouts was that road

Where abouts was that road

Bungay street is one of the diagonal roads which is on the green, open land, on the hillside behind the train station.

The land was housing in the Park district till it was cleared, prior to the building of the Park Hill complex, which went up in 1959-61 approximately.

The road is now nothing but a cobbled lane, across a green, but fifty odd years ago it was a bustling housing 'estate'.

Bungay street is one of the diagonal roads which is on the green, open land, on the hillside behind the train station.

The land was housing in the Park district till it was cleared, prior to the building of the Park Hill complex, which went up in 1959-61 approximately.

The road is now nothing but a cobbled lane, across a green, but fifty odd years ago it was a bustling housing 'estate'.

What Ever Happened to Bungay Street?

www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk-what-ever-happened-to-bungay-st

What Ever Happened to Bungay Street?

www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk-what-ever-happened-to-bungay-st

hiya an interesting thread this one I met my wife in 1960, she lived in shrewsbury rd, but her father and mother when both were born, her dad on Talbot st, her mum on long henry st, this was in 1910/11. only this year I found out my grandfather at this time lived on Granville st although he was born in Scotland a small world it can be said.

Edited by willybite

I lived opposite the Durham Ox on Cricket inn road, went to St, johns ( c.i.r ) school, who used Park baths for swimming lessons, Mr Wright was the instructor, we used to get a bath card which gave you reduced entry fee, then i could spend the rest on a hot pie when i came out. Good times.

durham ox now that brings back memories i thought that was on the lefthand side on cricket inn rd going from town, i think i may be wrong as there were no houses opposite, a relative in law lived in one of those houses at the junction of bernard st opposite st johns church, there names were burgess.

I lived opposite the Durham Ox on Cricket inn road, went to St, johns ( c.i.r ) school, who used Park baths for swimming lessons, Mr Wright was the instructor, we used to get a bath card which gave you reduced entry fee, then i could spend the rest on a hot pie when i came out. Good times.

That must have been the pie shop on Duke Street, same block from memory, we never missed the pie shop after a swim, they don't make pies like that any more and I dare say there are no proper pie shops any more.

Edited by Boginspro

durham ox now that brings back memories i thought that was on the lefthand side on cricket inn rd going from town, i think i may be wrong as there were no houses opposite, a relative in law lived in one of those houses at the junction of bernard st opposite st johns church, there names were burgess.

The Durham Ox was on the left hand side of Cricket Inn Road going from town so you were right there but there were three terraced houses directly opposite, Nos. 6, 8 & 10 Cricket Inn Road.