Anyone got a wood burner?

i just placed an advert in the 'stuff for free' area of a load of floorboards for use with a wood burner. But its just occurs to me that they might nit actually be suita for such applications. They are unpainted pine which i suspect would be fine but have lots of nails. Of used with a wood burner would these need removing first, or could they just be broken up and burned and the nails sink to the bottom of the ash tray? Thanks :)

Should be ok for kindling but paint and varnish is a no-no,it wrecks the liner.

where does it mention paint and/or varnish?

pine isnt the best of woods to burn in a burner cos it is quite resinous, but floor boards will be ok.....Either that or a Chimnea on the terrace :)

so for domestic purposes could they be used with the nails in? I always just assumed ash goes into a hopper or something and tye nails would drop in too?

that is what will hapen, the nails will end up in the ash pan....Not a problem at all.

I was once told metal in the bottom cause hot spots that weaken the burner ? Would have thought a decent one would have coped with it but you never know.

I have had wood burners and solid fuel cookers for years and I have burnt any kind of wood that came my way with no problems.

If you think back to say the 50's through to the mid 80's then most houses had a solid fuel fire and many burnt coal [still the best solid fuel in my opinion] this some times lead to a chimney fire that was easily dealt with by the old timers who had grown up with solid fuel. The trick was to cut of the air supply as well as keep ones flue clean.

The flue must be capable of taking the different heat that is created from different fuels of course .