Graphics Card Debate

Hello, which graphics card is best between these bearing in mine they are both 2 GB cards and similar specifications and which is also the latest card per compatibility?

AMD Radeon R7 265 2048MB

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 2GB

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 TI 2GB

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2048MB

It depends which CPU you're using...

it's no secret that AMD chipset/CPU works better with AMD GFX cards, as they have designed them that way...

the nVidia cards will support PhysX though...

I generally use hwcompare.com as a guideline for GFX card comparissons though, give it a try! :)

Thanks pal, what a great site.

---------- Post added 07-06-2014 at 13:32 ----------

The GeForce GTX 760 seems to win out on these tests.

So what you are saying is that the most expensive, most powerful and most up to date card comes top in the tests? Astonishing.

Try for a 780ti

Try for a 780ti

Is that what you have?

How can you suggest anything when you dont know what his budget is, or what he wants to use it for?

for the same price as the nvidia 760 you should also be looking a the amd R9 280.

Then of course if he wanted to delve into the world of GNU/Linux, nVidia - even though Linus Torvalds told them like it is (was). AMD no longer support GNU/Linux and thats why fglrx and Catalyst control Centre screw up GNU/Linux installs. I have an AMD Phenom II 6 Core processor with AMD based Mobo but an nVidia GT620 - meets my needs.

I thought AMD support was supposed to have improved on Linux not got worse?

Then again I have only ever twice tried an AMD card and both times had a ton of problems with compatibility IN WINDOWS. I have stuck to Nvidia since especially once I switched to Linux.

I have a GTX 660, if a 760 was the same price get that, but also watch out for the GTX 660 Ti which may also come out around the price of 760 but is more powerful.

It also depends on if you are replacing an existing card and what your PSU is capable of. That is why I personally never considered the 660 Ti as I didn't want to use that much electricity/have to upgrade my PSU.

The last time I used AMD (well, ATI) on Linux it worked fine, and well, with no issues....

I don't know if it is support for older cards that has stopped or not - the rig I bought had ATI chipset onboard (nv400) and fglrx just messed things up completely - Linus Torvalds in a live interview expounded on the big issues that had caused issues earlier in the year/back end of last year - its all a blur to me - and said that GNU/Linux biggest problems had been nVidia and if they were watching ... [expletive deletive]! :hihi: (I had to put that smilie in manually - nothing works for me any more in Windows or GNU/Linux! - browser wise for this forum that is. If anyone is vernturing into the world of GNU/Linux these days the safest driver from nVidia is 304.x/304.x updated driver.

Isn't 304 for older hardware? Wouldn't be much use on a GTX 660.

I have had a few issues with the Nvidia driver breaking on newer kernels but that seems to be an issue with the maintainers on RPM Fusion for Fedora not keeping their package up-to-date with the official Nvidia release. Basically the kernel update comes through first, Nvidia breaks, then some time later the maintainer gets round to releasing the newer Nvidia package. I have just resorted to manually installing the official Nvidia release again.

Edited by AlexAtkin