FAO Town Hall Cyclist

For the first time, today I had to shout at a pedestrian whilst I was riding my bike. I wasn't going particularly fast, maybe 10 miles an hour, but it was going uphill so I wanted to keep my momentum. I was riding the secondary line and I could see a person with a young child waiting to cross the road. I maintained eye contact with him yet he insisted on pushing the child into the road. As I got closer and he was still urging the child to cross and it looked like the child would step out in front of me, I shouted a quick 'Oy'. He looked at me as though I was a nutter.

Regarding cycling contraflows, until there are more bikes on the road - cyclists are always going to have to take care on them. I ride down Portabello Street most days and this has a contraflow on it. Pedestrians and car drivers simply are not aware (or ignore/forget) that cyclists are allowed to cycle down that street.

Regarding cycling contraflows, until there are more bikes on the road - cyclists are always going to have to take care on them. I ride down Portabello Street most days and this has a contraflow on it. Pedestrians and car drivers simply are not aware (or ignore/forget) that cyclists are allowed to cycle down that street.

I wonder how many of the "cyclist riding the wrong way down a one way street" complaints are actually because people haven't noticed there was a contraflow cycle lane?

What an absolute jeb end of a man you are!

around 8:15am this morning outside the town hall cycling in the opposite direction of the one way street, screaming his head off and ringing his bell at a woman and small child.

You don't own the road, if it was a car they would have had to slow down to let them cross as they were already halfway across the lane.

No! you kept going shouting profanities!!

Complete Pillock,

Rant over

Actually this post/thread is the work of a complete pillock. A typical anti-cyclist bigot who ignores facts/truth etc.

I've had to shout warnings on that bit of road on numerous occasions whilst travelling legally in either direction. Why? Because many pedestrians simply do not look where they are going before crossing road. Do cyclists start threads ranting about pedestrians not paying non-existent taxes to use the roads and pavements when this happens? Thankfully no. And if they started threads about cars jumping red lights/breaking laws then SF would be completely clogged up with such things because it happen so much.

Whilst I think that yellowperil has some wildly misguided notions about cyclists, I agree about the insurance and to a broad extent about testing.

If cyclists undergo training for cycling on the road (such as what Pedal Ready offer) it will give them more confidence to ride properly on the roads and more people may take it up, making cycling safer for everyone (according to statistics).

Of course this means cyclists will be taking a primary road position such that motorists will actually have to overtake instead of barging past regardless, thus they will be "held up" by the cyclist and may start regretting calling for compulsory testing...

I also think motorists should be frequently re-tested, judging by some of the driving I see (and I drive for work so I'm in the car very frequently). Don't even get me started on red light jumping!

One last thing - why do some people think cyclists are sanctimonious? I choose it as a method of transport because after being in the car most of the day for work I often can't face getting back in it to go out in the evening, and it's more reliable (and quicker) than public transport!

For the benefit of pedestrians and cyclists and to save incidents, a one way street should be a one way street for all vehicles in my opinion.
So because some people are too stupid to realise a road is two way, then it should be made one way. Hmm I wonder what would happen if we extend that 'logic' to other things.

You should always look both ways on any road regardless of signed direction, because people will reverse on one ways, people drive down them by mistake when lost or due to poor/incomplete signage.

---------- Post added 06-06-2014 at 17:16 ----------

What kind of freak drives around with a bottle of pizz in the car ready to be thrown?
The sort of numpty that would want to drive around and throw missiles at cyclists for fun. :shakes:

I think they (cyclists) should be registered and display some form of registration plate so the bad apples can be caught, prosecuted and fined.
Many jusristictions have looked into registering cyclists and in all cases it would be horrendously more expensive to administer than the money it raised (eg just one example). You are also implicitly banning under-18s from cycling.

---------- Post added 06-06-2014 at 17:27 ----------

"For the benefit of pedestrians and cyclists and to save incidents, a one way street should be a one way street for all vehicles in my opinion."
Surrey Street is not a one-way street. It is a two-way street, with traffic restricted to cyclists only in an eastward direction. The signage is clear. Two-way street, solid white no-overtaking line between lanes, traffic in eastward direction restricted to cyclists only.

I had to use my air horn for a pedestrian crossing Middlewood road, on his phone, very slowly, looking up the road away from the traffic.

I assume he was relying on hearing any oncoming vehicle, so I gave him the chance to hear me.

And more. Everytime I use my bike I don't contribute to the congestion, so the remaining motorists can move a little bit more freely.

And there's a bumper sticker that says "If I'd biked to work today, this parking space would be yours."