Norton Water Tower

Went up as a school boy, the view from the top was great.

As a student I worked at the Norton Water Tower in the 1968 summer holidays on ground maintenance. Mainly cutting grass and hedges, but I did have to dust and sweep the staircase that went up to the viewing gallery. This was in preparation for the August bank holiday open days. There was also a lift.

In the basement were powerful pumps which took water up to the tank at the top.

I was told the water began its journey at the Redmires reservoirs and was fed through the system via the pumping station on Warminster Rd. to the water tower. I believe it was constructed in its high situation in order to provide the head of water needed for the 'new' housing estates at Gleadless Valley, Basegreen and Low Edges etc.

I remember seeing a 'special' telephone in the basement. This was when the 'Cold War' between East & West was on and the phone was allegedly a hot line to Fylingdales early warning station. In the event of a nuclear attack, the valves were to be turned off and the water in the tanks isolated.

---------- Post added 02-02-2013 at 16:51 ----------

Also I was shown some print-outs of the water flow. One day the graph almost went off the scale. This was of a day in 1966 at about 3.45pm. It was half-time in the Owls v. Everton cup final at Wembley which was being televised. Lots of kettles being filled and toilets flushed I guess !

yes, Derek, you are right that the tower was built to provide enough of a head of water to supply the Valley.

There's also a pumping station at the bottom end of East Bank Road, near the former S.R. Gents Factory, that serves the Arbourthorne Estate.

Does anyone know if the Norton water tower is in use .Does it still contain water.

Check out the

28dayslater site

I have you a link looks like they have deleted it ?