Norton Water Tower

It is not exactly for storing water, it is there to give pressure on the mains.

if it is, say 100 feet high, this will make a pressure in the pipes of about 40 pounds per square inch, which is more than enough for general usage.

If it were not there the pressure would be too low probably to operate most modern washing machines and heating systems etc

On a good day they say that you can see Lincoln Cathedral from the top

Does that mean you can see Norton Water Tower on a good day from Lincoln Cathedral? That must be exciting!

Scam?

Surely if you are against phone masts (as it sounds as if you are) wouldn't you be happier that they are utilising already existing tall buildings to mount them on, rather than constructing their own, causing more of an eye sore.

Adam

Funnily enough, before mobile phones were invented we would have managed fine if we broke down in a busy area of Sheffield covered by the water tower transmitters.

Does that mean you can see Norton Water Tower on a good day from Lincoln Cathedral? That must be exciting!

I bet they charge admission just to see it! :D

Funnily enough, before mobile phones were invented we would have managed fine if we broke down in a busy area of Sheffield covered by the water tower transmitters.

Run that by me again, Ken? How would the water tower have been of assistance in the event of a motor breakdown before mobile phones were invented? Unless there were men stationed on the top, watching out for motorists in distress? :)

In flat areas like lincolnshire and american praries, watertowers are much more common.

Yes, I associate them much more with flat areas. The Norton tower is an interesting feature in the Sheffield landscape though it does seem slightly incongruous in this area.

Yes, I associate them much more with flat areas. The Norton tower is an interesting feature in the Sheffield landscape though it does seem slightly incongruous in this area.

not *that* incongruous, when you consider how high the top of Hemsworth road is, (it's one of the highest points in the city) and the fact that the houses there need just as high a water pressure in their pipes as the houses at the bottom of Blackstock Road by the horse and groom....

It sounds silly but i feel an emotional attachment to the NWT as a) I grew up almost in its shadow as a small girl,

and b) it can be seen for miles, and it's one of the things I look for, when coming back into sheffield when I have been away.

PT

Does anyone know the opening days/times for the Norton Water Tower, please?

When did they stop having the open days ?

As a pupil at Newfield school, you could see the tower during its construction rising above the horizon bit by bit.

An amusing story, that is took my lads up there and said how wet will we get as we pass through the water. Will never forget the look on their faces !

I thought you could go up it at more or less any time in the sixties. After a while I think they fenced off the part that overlooked Hemsworth Road after complaints from the residents.

A late Uncle of my wife namely Jack Towns (lovely man) was on the town council and involved in some way with the Water Tower, so in the family it was always known as "Uncle Jacks" Water Tower.

As an aside I was over at Killamarsh one day and the tower stands out so well you feel you could reach out and touch it.