Wedding Venue Discussion 2015/2016

We've just booked at Lees Hall Golf Club and it was incredibly reasonable with a separate room attached to the main hall with sofa's and things for older guests if they need a bit of quiet.

The woman who runs the functions is called Wendy and is incredibly accommodating.

If you are looking for something a little bit more informal and have a small party of people then why not consider a haunted theme? The Carbook Hall, opposite Meadowhall Retail Park has a function room which is very old and very different, and it's supposedly the most haunted public house in Sheffield. Buffets can be supplied as well as music.

I'm currently looking for a wedding venue for the ceremony and night do. (40 day - 120 night guest)

I'm not wanting anything too expensive like mosborough hall, ringwood hall etc but would like something nice and modern. Along those lines.

Can anyone recommend anywhere?

Hi

I can recommend The Hilton Hotel, Sheffield,

My Sister got married there also had a sit down meal & had Evening do there as well, had a large room & Bar area all to orsleves. They also had photos taken outside on the quay.

Was great day & a lovely place.

I couldn't tell you how much they paid for it but I know she said it was a good deal for what they got.

Prices may have gone up though as this was about 6 years ago.

http://www.craftychez.co.uk

Invitations, Favours, Guest Books, Table Numbers & more.

Various Wedding Open Days - check website for dates & venue

I can recommend The Chimney House. Have done many weddings there and never had anyone say anything but positive comments. If you are after a small (max 50 seated 75 standing) venue that is super relaxed and a bit different then check them out.

we need a venue that can hold upto 120 people in december.

we need a bar type of venue

thank you

Hello,

I might be a little bit late replying to this one but I'm the Wedding Coordinator at Whirlowbrook hall and would love to give you more information if you are still looking for a wedding venue.

If you want to contact me, my email address is Kelsey@whirlowbrook.co.uk or alternatively, give us a call on 0114 321 0209.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Kelsey Bee

Wedding and Event's coordinator

Whirlowbrook Hall

Hi

I'm looking for a venue for my wedding reception. We want something pretty cheap and somewhere where we can do our own food and decoration.

Looking about 100- 150 guests and somewhere where kids are welcome.

Thanks in advance!

We did a wonderful wedding last weekend which was in a village hall in the north of Sheffield. The bride and groom did their own decoration, cake and supplied their own drinks. Food was a mobile pizza oven situated outside. We served arrival drinks and set up a cash bar in the hall. (A temporary licence is needed if you want to sell drinks) or you can ask for donations. Drinks were cheep but covered the cost to the couple for buying them in the first place. We put out snacks in the evening supplied by the couple and cut their wedding cake. We washed all the glassware and cleared all the tables. Weddings don't have to cost an arm and a leg. Think about the food what you can afford, think about the space and how to accommodate everyone ask family and friends to help with decorations, flowers, cake and then think about what help you need on the day so that you and your family are not serving and clearing up.

If you need any help or advice please do not hesitate to give us a call.

Shamefully long time since the event, but can't believe how time has flown, so apologies for the delay and here goes:

I'd originally wanted to have a party for family and close friends after cancer surgery, chemotherapy and radiotherapy, but then my partner proposed on Christmas Eve!

I looked at a couple of venues, hotels, etc (some turned me down because, with only approximately 30 guests, I wouldn't be spending the £3,000 minimum!), then my partner (sorry, can't call him boyfriend at our age, sounds silly!) suggested the Kiveton Village Hall. I wasn't working at the time, so he left all the arrangements up to me (probably would have done anyhow :) ). My mother and I went to see the Village Hall in March, a little dubious because someone had said "it's only a village hall, just a brick building?". Yes, it is a square brick building, but Helen Carline, Helen Phoenix and all the other "backstage" people who helped with our event couldn't have been more welcoming and helpful, making lots of suggestions (room decoration, menu, etc) and showing us photos of the decorated room for previous events. One of the "in-house" DJs, Rob ("The Joker") walked by, Helen brought him into the conversation and I booked both on the spot.

The OH and I had already said we didn't want a flashy, big "do" - I wasn't going to have a bouquet of flowers costing silly money to carry for just 10 minutes at the register office, we weren't going to do our own soppy promises in the ceremony, he wasn't going to wear a wedding ring, he wasn't going to do a speech at the party, we certainly weren't going to have a "first dance" and we weren't going to have a wedding cake. How plans change ...

When I arrived at Worksop Register Office (beautiful stained glass windows), my youngest niece presented me with a bouquet of flowers from their garden, beautifully simple and the colours matched my dress perfectly - don't know how, no-one had seen it :)

The week before the ceremony, the OH said that he thought it would be a nice idea for us to say something to each other at the ceremony - thanks mate, for once I was tongue-tied! Anyhow, we both managed to get something not too long together and the Registrar (nice man :) !) said that he thought ours were the best promises of the day, heartfelt, but humorous.

A week before the wedding, the OH said he'd decided he wanted a wedding ring - local vendors all said that it'd take three weeks to get a ring in his size :( One lovely lady at Hinds in Crystal Peaks said she could stretch the size below to his size, phew, it fitted perfectly.

When we arrived at the Village Hall, the room was beautifully decorated - the two Helens had previously made loads of suggestions and provided all the decorations, I'd agreed, said yes to everything, let them do their own thing and it looked great. They'd also made loads of food suggestions, again I just said yes to everything and afterwards I even received comments on how nice the food was.

Rob the DJ was fantastic at the party, doing games for the littl'uns, not playing the music too loud (as requested) so that guests could chat and sending a special balloon off with me to my dad who'd died in February of pancreatic and liver cancer. He also never minded when my husband, far from not doing a speech, borrowed the mike from him about three times to do little "mini-speeches", "just a few words" :) I don't have children, but received comments afterwards about how great it was that we'd especially thought about the children and keeping them occupied, great job Rob :)

The Helens didn't mind the many and various changes/special requests we made, including:

* changing the room booking to a different one for the same price when the number of guests climbed to 54!

* providing a special table for the Lego wedding cake my sister made and iced by my niece's husband as a surprise for my hubby, who loves Lego!

* we'd said to our guests that we didn't want presents, but, instead, should be grateful to receive donations to be split between the charities, Breast Cancer Now and Pancreatic Cancer Research Fund - a table for a special postbox for donations was provided and we raised £700 (we raffled off one of my husband's big, radio-controlled Lego trucks at the party, special thanks to my support group Pink Sisters who attended and whipped up people to buy tickets and the £700 also included donations after the event);

* providing black pudding in the buffet for my husband :)

We organised a whole wedding, including wedding dress, rings, vintage car hire and the honeymoon in three months for less than £3,000, we didn't stint at all and we had a wonderful day.

In short, I'd say if you're looking to host any kind of event, don't hesitate to book the KPWVH - my husband and I would certainly give them a great recommendation any time :)

Hi WeddingJess :) Now that I think of it, we probably did hit £3k, but that's still not bad - just shows you can have a wonderful day without breaking the bank, just:

* my aunt owns a small printing company, so printed up invitations for free (cheating somewhat, sorry);

* go for an evening dress, not a "proper" wedding dress (personal shopping appointments are free and no, they're not just for the rich to spend silly money, they're great fun - I had an appointment with both House of Fraser and Debenhams, the assistants aren't on commission, so don't "push" anything and, in fact, the Debenhams assistants said that the HoF dress was the nicer!);

* either don't have flowers or, as I did (even if without planning it), have flowers from the garden;

* my matching necklace/earrings were £16 from a stall in the market at Crystal Peaks and fitted the dress perfectly;

* I didn't buy special shoes, but wore old silver ones I'd previously worn on stage, so comfortable and no cost;

* I didn't buy "special" underwear, as a lot of brides do (but it was my nicest!);

* he wore a suit he'd bought recently, but, at the time, only worn once, so no cost to the wedding budget specifically;

* don't go for a hotel "do", I found some have minimum spends of £3-5k, others didn't have a minimum spend, but by the time you looked at their bottom line, may as well have done - look at local village/church halls, much cheaper (Kiveton Park and Wales Village Hall has both a website and a Facebook page);

* we used Andrius Photography (both on Sheffield Forum/Facebook and has a website) - reasonable price, he stayed longer than he said he would, great photos and was very amenable to our changes when we suddenly asked for two collages instead of an album (which we thought would end up being parked on a shelf and only ever looked at a couple of times, whereas we see the collages every day, nice way to remember a lovely day and much cheaper than an album);

* if you use a village/church hall, they frequently have their own "house" DJ or can recommend ones with reasonable charges - Rob (the Joker) whom we used is on Facebook, he was great, would definitely recommend him;

* don't buy a wedding cake for silly money, my sister just made two, one smaller than the other, to make a two tier cake, then look around your friends and family to find someone who's good at icing! If you have an idea of what you want, Google it, you're bound to get some photos for good ideas

* don't have bridesmaids/attendants who also need dressing top to toe or, if you do, do so on the understanding that they pay for their own outfit!

I think the thing which cost the most was the vintage car, but it was gorgeous and the hubby's a car nut, so worth it (according to him).

Happy to be of help/give further information if anyone needs it :)

Wow! Impressed at how much you managed to do, on such a tight budget. :)