Cat spraying indoors - advice needed

I have a three year neutered male who has recently started spraying in the house. A new, larger unneutered male recently moved into the area and was coming in the cat flap and spraying. We've resolved that by installing a microchip catflap but now my cat has started spraying in response, obviously to protect his territory as he feels threatened. I've bought a feliway plug-in but that hasn't helped. Has anyone got any suggestions? I'm so fed up of the smell and of crawling around on my hands and knees washing the kitchen walls and cupboard doors. It's embarrassing as much as anything else when your house smells!

I think your cat can probably still smell where the other one has sprayed. Have you tried some special cleaning stuff specifically to get rid of this kind of thing? If your cat can no longer smell the other cat, he might not feel the need to spray anymore.

I've just used soap and water and a bit of disinfectant. He's spraying all over though whereas the other cat just managed three spots before we changed the catflap. My afternoon is now dedicated to more scrubbing!!!

I've just used soap and water and a bit of disinfectant. He's spraying all over though whereas the other cat just managed three spots before we changed the catflap. My afternoon is now dedicated to more scrubbing!!!

Soap and water will not remove the smell that your cat can smell. Biological washing powder/liquid solution will. Your cat will be able to smell it so will scent mark anywhere not necessarily on the same spot

I've found using bio washing stuff good for removing the smell too.

It might not work with spraying so much, but my female cat started weeing near my front door and I cleaned it thoroughly using bio power then put a covering of tinfoil over the floor, weighted down. A lot of cats don't like tinfoil so it stops them going on the area and hopefully breaks the habit.

She's not wee'd there in ages now, I'm starting to think I might be safe to remove the tinfoil!

She did however wee all over one of my dog's toys the other day :roll: she doesn't like the dog much!

I've found using bio washing stuff good for removing the smell too.

It might not work with spraying so much, but my female cat started weeing near my front door and I cleaned it thoroughly using bio power then put a covering of tinfoil over the floor, weighted down. A lot of cats don't like tinfoil so it stops them going on the area and hopefully breaks the habit.

She's not wee'd there in ages now, I'm starting to think I might be safe to remove the tinfoil!

She did however wee all over one of my dog's toys the other day :roll: she doesn't like the dog much!

This method (as described by vwkittie) often works well but dont use bleach or disinfectant. Alternatively (or in addition) you can use Safe4Pets disinfectant or ordour eliminator; Simple Solution; or surgical spirit. I tend to use the former, plus my fabby Polti steam cleaner. We have a very naughty bengal who insists on asserting his masculinity all over and especially when he's in a sulk. A real pain - we don't have any floor length curtains, most of the upholstery now is leather or fully washable and we got rid of the carpets (partly because of him but mainly because my other half is asthmatic and I'm allergic to pets, dust, grass, you name it!)

Thanks for all the tips everyone! I'll hopefully crack the behaviour as well as getting rid of the smell!!