Davy United Group

My dad worked at Davy Roll from 1955 to when he retired a couple of years ago. I used to go to the Christmas partys at the club & some of the summer "do's " they had there. Was one of the best clubs in the ares & used to spend alot of time there when I started at Davy's in 1980.

I am pleased to read the positive note struck by KP and the good future prspects of the old company. I joined Davy and United Co Ltd in 1960 as an engineering apprentice and was fortunate to get one of the best training programmes of its day, better than Metro Vickers even, because everyone was so helpful and friendly. I have notebook full of names of those I met in that 3 year period. The training has stood me in good stead. I left Davy Loewy Sheffield in 1877 but moved to other group companies in Poole and London - but have always had a very soft spot for those early days. Thanks.

REH

PS If you want to check names send me an email.

i started in 1964 as an apprentice finished in 1985 i worked the big vdf in 3bay i remember with great affection earnest shaw eddie keys arthur smith etc.they were great days.i miss all those people and the times we had and the wages .

i started in 1964 as an apprentice finished in 1985 i worked the big vdf in 3bay i remember with great affection earnest shaw eddie keys arthur smith etc.they were great days.i miss all those people and the times we had and the wages .

Does anyone remember my dad Peter Kirkman. He worked in purchasing at Davy for many years.

I do remember Peter Kirkman very well. After leaving Davys he and Bernard Barber, set up a company called Thompson Associates. And at the time I had my own small Engineering Business and worked for them on almost a daily basis.

I remember both Peter Kirkman and Bernard Barber. Peter was Manager of Purchasing in the 70s when I was out in Mexico on a big rod mill project and his department saved me from big trouble with timely action when a supplier let us down. Peter was good at letting them know the score in no uncertain terms. At the time he had divorced which knocked him sideways but he had an excellent team. Tony White was our guy and totally reliable in answering our telexes any time day or night.

Then Bernard was a good friend - in the 60s I was working with him in the Gear design section in the drawing office and he taught me a lot including how to play bridge - every lunch we had a casual & fun session around the drawing boards. When I left the Gear Section they presented me with a signed reference book which I still have. Good days! He was a very clever chap - I remember in the 70s he came once to the Davy company in Poole to tell us how to put our gear design mistakes right. It upset the Poole guys that Sheffield designers knew a lot more about high duty gearing for rolling mills than Poole designers did. It was my job to tell them so; I got flak but I had no doubts who was right!

PS It's interesting to know Bernard had a consultancy which seems to be still going strong under someone else. Anyone got recent news of Bernard or Peter?

Thanks for the replies about my dad Peter Kirkman.

Just to let you know that he died five years ago.

HI TONY

IS IT TRUE THAT ON A QUIET NIGHT AT CHRISTMAS TIME YOU CAN

STILL HEAR CLIFF PLAYING CAROLs ON HIS TRUMPET ON TOP OF HIS CRANE

Only played when United won, he played louder when Wednesday lost. If it was both, it was difficult to get a lift. (not really)

This certainly brought back memories

Whilst working for Davy Computing, at Moorfoot, I made my one and only visit to the Darnall works and met Ron Weatherall, Head draughtsman in the mid 80's. He showed me the very large number of draughtsman (75?) and said that within 2 years of then, they'd all be gone; due to Computer Aided Design. Little did I know, that 4 years later, I would be called into Personnel with 17 others and given 10 minutes to get on the pavement, with most of the company to follow. Such is the pace of technology. Does any-one know if Davy Computing Ltd. survived at all?.

My Grandad (Dennis Hennell) and dad (David Hennell) both worked for Davy. Dad started as an apprentice and spent best part of his working life with them in Darnell, Bournemouth and Korea. He was MD of a design company called Thompson Assoc. which i still believe operate from Prince of Wales Road.

I know it has been over a year since your post boy I worked along side your Dad when I first joined the EDO. If you are Daniel, you'd have been just a toddler then. I still have a book your dad swapped with me for some CB equipment.

I started my apprenticeship in 1977, I think it was the last of the big intakes (about 25 craft, 10 technician, 10 graduate apprenticeships). After that, no where near as many were took on.

There are so many names in this thread I remember.

Anyway, the other names at the time on the same squad as your dad and myself were, Jack Glaves, Ron Smith, Andy Fletcher, Derek Billingsley, Pete Woodhead, Roy Brookes and Phil Ripley. I was only with this squad for a year or so before moving to JVW's squad next door where my board was bang in the middle of the whole drawing office. So, I was never far away from so many excellent engineers, a truly amazing experience that I perhaps didn't fully appreciate at the time.

Appreciate the post by Kevin Parkin regarding the Davy Markham situation. I worked with Mick Steeper in R & D for a short time too.