Davy United Group

I worked for Davy United Instrument Company during 1866 to 1968. We were a subsidiary of the main company making electronic control equipment for all kinds of industiries as well as for rolling mills. They were a great group of people and even helped me to get my stuff packed when I emigrated to Canada. I can just heaer some of you cynics say " just to get rid of him ". I'm not telling.

Wow It must have a poor company pension scheme,Or did it just seem that long?

I worked in Davys tool room from 72 to 84. Why do people always assume that when a firm goes bust its the union to blame. I had left davy when it finished but as I understand it it was a disasterous conract with penalties that sent the firm under. So far as i am aware the union didnt negociate that contract. The firm continues but seems to be in a much reduced form.

People I remember from Davy Dave Bower, Eric Mawe, Ralph Pounder, Len Ducker, Frank Straw, Albert Dryhurst and loads of others. Perhaps we should have a reunion if theres enough of us left.

I worked at Davy's from 1959 to 1961. I was in the offices and worked on the top floor in a mechanised accounts department. The accounting machines were called Hollerith machines and used punched-cards for data collection.

I was the only male operator and worked in the machine room with a supervisor called Esme (sp) and another operator called Gwen (I think) she was married to a Polish gentleman. There was also an operator called Rita.

I used to know a girl called Margaret Wood who worked in the Drawing Office.

I remember a visit by some Russian delegation who left Russian cigaretts for us to try.

I worked in Davys tool room from 72 to 84. Why do people always assume that when a firm goes bust its the union to blame. I had left davy when it finished but as I understand it it was a disasterous conract with penalties that sent the firm under. So far as i am aware the union didnt negociate that contract. The firm continues but seems to be in a much reduced form.

People I remember from Davy Dave Bower, Eric Mawe, Ralph Pounder, Len Ducker, Frank Straw, Albert Dryhurst and loads of others. Perhaps we should have a reunion if theres enough of us left.

Hi,

In addition to working in the Eng. drawing office, I also spent a year in the gauge room as part of my apprenticeship. 1954-1955. At that time, the room was run by a man called Stan Rushforth but he may have retired by 72. Then there was Harry Truman, Alan Smith and Dennis Hennel. Seem to think that Dennis moved on to the Instrument Company.

In the tool room was John Gabitas. Can't remember anybody else.

I knew a Ralph Pounder (a name on your list) but he was a fitter in the 2 Bay fitting shop. If its the same Ralph Pounder we are talking about, my family knew his wife Janet and her parents very well.

Small world

Regards

Stan Rushforth was still there in 1972 as was Harry Trueman both being foreman by that time. There was a Ted Smith in Gauge Corner also Nev Wilson who is still a friend of mine. I am sure it is the same Ralph Pounder as his wife was called Jean. It was a good firm Davys, made the best steel making machinery in the world.

Doe anyone remember Roy Smith who worked there for years? also his wife Wendy? If you know of thier whereabouts i would love to make contact.

Wow It must have a poor company pension scheme,Or did it just seem that long?

I worked there from 1960 to 1973. When I retired in 2006, my pension from Davy's was £80 per year. "Yes, £1.54 per week":rolleyes:

Ptra - that's an apalling pension for such a length of service. Are you one of the victims of the Kvaerner pension scheme?

Falls - did you know my father who worked in the drawing office - see your private messages.

Did anyone know my Aunt (Mabel) who also worked at Davys in Stationery Stores for many years until she retired in either 1973 or 1978?

Pal of mine's entire family worked there, but no longer. Why does everyone assume it's closed now? Its still going, albeit under yet another name.

http://www.davymarkham.com/

Always remember the fish at the bottom of the stairs in the sports club, the snooker room, cricket pitch, and the kids Xmas parties. Happy times. Would love to go back, just to see if the fish are still there!

I remember the family sports days - I won the fancy dress a couple of times. Also remember the wonderful Christmas displays in the drawing office, including the Daleks.

Does anyone remember John/Jack Cooper (foundry/drawing office/estimating) or Mabel Hunt (stationery stores)?

Also wondering if anyone knows where Roy Broughton is these days?