Davy United Group

A lot of my family used to work for Davys from when it was Davy Utd or perhaps before. Here are a few. George Burford[my grandad], Ron Burford[my grt uncle], George Albert Burford[my dad] and John Burford[my uncle] My dad worked there until just before they changed hands and took redundancy. Every time I come to visit him I think of the open days I used to attend with him when I was a kid and what a shame it is that it is no longer Davys. I still have a few pictures from when he was there including a works magazine picture when he was an apprentice some where.

Hi,

I knew a George Burford at Davy's but it goes back over 50 years ago: which one might it be? I started in the apprentice training shop at Davy's in 1952. That's where we met. We were both part of a group of eight apprentice fitters. Some of the names were: Peter Moss, Ken Littlewood, John Lloyd, Jim Hydes. Making up the rest of the group were George, a lad called Brian from Swallownest, a Peter from Southey Green, and of course, me.

After the shop training, the George I knew went into the main fitting shop (6 bay) and I went into the light fitting shop (2 bay). We would see one another around the works but we never worked together again after our time in the training shop. After a year in 2 bay, I spent the next four years moving around various departments and ended up in the engineering office. I left Davy's in 1965.

Small world.

When I was a kid living at Attercliffe I was always told Davy used to build railway carriages. Is this true or false? I remember when I first came to Manchester there was a pastic extrusion firm I used to visit and all their machines were Davy United. They must have been good. They kept going day and night! How in hell could a firm like that disappear!

When I was a kid living at Attercliffe I was always told Davy used to build railway carriages. Is this true or false? I remember when I first came to Manchester there was a pastic extrusion firm I used to visit and all their machines were Davy United. They must have been good. They kept going day and night! How in hell could a firm like that disappear!

Hi Peterw,

Davy's did make presses from time-to-time but usually for steel forging. They may have got into presses for other materials after I left.

In addition to Davy's on PoW Road, there was another works in Darnall called called "Craven's": Craven Carriage and Wagon Works to give it its correct title. They made rolling stock for railways, much of it for export. I remember riding in one of their carriages about 30 years ago on the Central Railway of Peru. It had been a fine piece of equipmentwhen built but was in sad shape by the time I saw it.

In later years, Cravens also manufactured plastic moulding machines. I haven't been down Staniforth road in years so don't know if they are still in business.

hi name is tony harrison,slinger in 5 bay when your dad was there,have ginger hair he may remember me

HI TONY

IS IT TRUE THAT ON A QUIET NIGHT AT CHRISTMAS TIME YOU CAN

STILL HEAR CLIFF PLAYING CAROLs ON HIS TRUMPET ON TOP OF HIS CRANE

That could be my Dad he started there when he was about 14. Did his national service in Warwickshire but Davy's held his job for him[how many companies would do that nowadays?] met my Mum & brought her back & stayed with Davys until the bitter end.My Grandad was also a George Burford but everybody called him JUD.

Hi,

I knew a George Burford at Davy's but it goes back over 50 years ago: which one might it be? I started in the apprentice training shop at Davy's in 1952. That's where we met. We were both part of a group of eight apprentice fitters. Some of the names were: Peter Moss, Ken Littlewood, John Lloyd, Jim Hydes. Making up the rest of the group were George, a lad called Brian from Swallownest, a Peter from Southey Green, and of course, me.

After the shop training, the George I knew went into the main fitting shop (6 bay) and I went into the light fitting shop (2 bay). We would see one another around the works but we never worked together again after our time in the training shop. After a year in 2 bay, I spent the next four years moving around various departments and ended up in the engineering office. I left Davy's in 1965.

Small world.

brilliant thread - i've always had a strong interest in the steel industry although from outside as it were, and in my job i actually got to visit PoW road works about a month ago, so it was a bit like meeting a hero for a saddo like me :loopy:

coincidentally i also managed to "salvage" a davy-united cast nameplate about 18" x 8" from somewhere a while back (cannot say where might get into trouble!) can anyone tell me what colours it might have been originally,

it was from a slabbing (large rolling) mill? :cool:

also, without wanting to seem ghoulish, does anyone have any similar items or memorabilia from davy, davy-united, davy-loewy, davy mckee etc which they might want to get rid of? this is pureley personal and not for selling on or anything

I have a pewter tankard we each were given in 1968 to mark Davy-United being awarded the Queen's Award for Industry. - I don't think I'm wanting to get rid of it though.

According to the DavyMarkham website, the Darnall manufacturing facility is still active, there are some pictures of the machine shops, etc.

When I first went to the place in 1989, to have some large fabrications machined, it was called Davy McKee and by the time I last went there it had become Kvaerner - that was in April 1998. Just before that Markham's (Chesterfield) had wound up and the last time I went in there, nearly all the machine tools had been removed. It is a sad sight to see these places closing.

Dave

yes dave they are still working and fairly busy (not compared with their heyday of course) with various stuff when i was in there

by the way i'm only about 15 miles from you - in the right direction (southwest that is!) :)

I remember as a kid living on the Arbourthorne in the late 1950s Davy United used to have a Gala Day every summer, with many attractions & sideshows, at their sports ground on Gleadless Road. This later became the site of the Central Technical School, which became Ashleigh School, and has recently been developed as a private housing estate.

Anyone else remember those Gala Days?

Also, does anyone remember the Works Convener of Davys from the early 1970s, a bloke by the name of Eddie Keys. I didn't work there, but I knew him through the Union and found him to be a nice, sensible bloke.

Andy, when were you last in Davy's? In my job I used to visit a lot of heavy machine shops and, to me, Davy's was always interesting. I've got a great photo taken from the crane walkway, up in the roof of one of the bays, but on this forum it appears that I've got to have a minimum of 15 posts before using URL links...

BTW, are you in or near Huntingdon?

Dave

Davy-United is one of the workplaces listed on FriendsReunited. There are about 30 people listed, whom people reading this thread may remember and may like to contact.