Davy United Group

Hello Mike57

You were/are Mike P from the hydraulics section of HMD working with Dick, Brian B and Bob H? I remember Brian Brooke's boob mug as well as his singing and whistling. Also the race for the best (darkest) dripping scone as the tea trolley crashed out of the lift. I was at D-L for only three years but have fond memories of the place - especially after coming up to Sheffield fromt'South. They were well up with technology - introduced the first CAD machine, or whatever it was called in those days, in 1976 and Square D PLCs the same year. Whenever I see the opening scenes from the Full Monty it brings back memories of the mid '70s, walking home at night from Tiffany's or the Top Rank with the glow of blast furnaces just over the horizon and the thud of forging hammers carrying across the city. We now live in Adelaide, South Aus, but could move back to Sheffield for a while any time.

My husband Ashley Jenkinson also worked with Brian Brooke. Did you know him by any chance.

Begora

Sorry if this is ancient history but a recent strange course of events made me want to reach out. First a bit of background, I started my apprenticeship in Davy s training school in the mid sixties,before moving on into the Fab Shop till that closed down. I then moved into the Drawing Office as a Junior Draughtsman until redundancy cleared me and many others out of there. I met up with some of my former Davy DO colleagues at Dunford Hadfields and also later at Ashlows, before emigrating to Canada in 1981. I retired in 2010 and these past few years have visited Sheffield every year or so to see family and friends.

Last Sept/Oct my wife and I went to Tenerife for a family reunion. One afternoon we called into a local bar/restaurant for a late lunch and at the table next to us were a couple who we started chatting with, who coincidentally were from Sheffield. After comparing names and places we realized the answer "me too" was repeated far too many times. We eventually exchanged names. He was John Hobson, my name is Alan Hibbs. John was one of the tradesmen I served my fab Shop apprenticeship with over 50 years ago. HOW AWSOME IS THAT? A lot of the names I recalled are no longer with us but at the same time as me Dick Wells and Paul Twigg were also part of that years apprentice intake. Ray Ashton (guitarist of the Bittersuite) was also a Fab Shop apprentice a couple of years ahead of us.

It would be great to hear from any ex Davy Fab Shop guys.

Lots of the names mentioned in other strings on the Forum are familiar to me as I knew some of them as team mates on various Davy sports teams.

My husband Ashley Jenkinson also worked with Brian Brooke. Did you know him by any chance.

Begora

Yes, really nice bloke. Ashley was in the electrical section with me Alan Strickland to 1977 and about 6 others. These included Tony Middleton who headed the section and I think Ashley had worked with previously. Brian was in hydraulics right next to us - close enough to hear him sing - with Bob Harrison, Mike Plant and Dick Evans.

Hi, not sure if this thread is still active. Does anyone know of a Facebook Group for ex-employees of Davys? I’ve heard there is one but can’t find it.

Hi Helbco,

I know Roy Broughton really well! I tried to personal message you, but as I haven't written 5 posts, I was unable to.

Kind regards

https://www.photobox.co.uk/my/photo/full?photo_id=501610671304

Thought this might be of interest, a large heavy cast nameplate that I rescued from Shepcote Lane (Slabbing Mill) about 2008 and have had blasted and painted - doubt it was the original colours, as I couldn’t find out what they would have been 

32 minutes ago, andyf16 said:

Thought this might be of interest, a large heavy cast nameplate that I rescued from Shepcote Lane (Slabbing Mill) about 2008 and have had blasted and painted - doubt it was the original colours, as I couldn’t find out what they would have been 

Link only takes me to the PhotoBox home page.

Hmm mine takes me to the photo but that’s maybe because it’s my account - will try have a tinker with it... thanks 

2 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

2 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

3 hours ago, andyf16 said:

Hmm mine takes me to the photo but that’s maybe because it’s my account - will try have a tinker with it... thanks 

You perhaps have to tick a box in the settings to make it public.

14 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

14 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

Good idea Jim, have now made it Public in Photobox so can try again... http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/5558870642 

5 hours ago, andyf16 said:

Good idea Jim, have now made it Public in Photobox so can try again... http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/5558870642 

I know you say it's large Andy, but Dimensions: 3953 x 2357 is stretching it a bit, lol. I'm guessing that's the number of pixels in the photo.

What does it measure?

help trying to try to find where a Bev Booth he along with his wife went over in the early 70s for Davy United to build a factory in the old Yugoslavia  and brought back a tapestry for my parents . Can anyone tell me which part of the old republic it was in.pm if you can.