Trees on Penistone Road

Heard some guy talking about this on the radio - shame about the trees and the disruption - will be interesting if things improve when it's all done? He mentioned the likely costs (think half a million - the majority funded from some central 'bottleneck reduction funds' - although he definitely mentioned that our Council taxes are having to be spent as well to part fund the project. Has anyone any idea what that contribution will be when we've already seen major austerity cuts and more to come? Pity he wasn't asked at the time. With the proposed cuts to Winter gritting in some of the highest areas, seems misguided to spend local money here if such drastic decisions are having to be made?

Heard some guy talking about this on the radio - shame about the trees and the disruption - will be interesting if things improve when it's all done? He mentioned the likely costs (think half a million - the majority funded from some central 'bottleneck reduction funds' - although he definitely mentioned that our Council taxes are having to be spent as well to part fund the project. Has anyone any idea what that contribution will be when we've already seen major austerity cuts and more to come? Pity he wasn't asked at the time. With the proposed cuts to Winter gritting in some of the highest areas, seems misguided to spend local money here if such drastic decisions are having to be made?

Council tax isn't spent on highway schemes, all of the money comes from government grant (or occasionally EU grant) in one form or another.

This page on the Council's website tells you al you need to know about the funding: https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/roads/works/schemes/penistone-road.html

---------- Post added 07-06-2014 at 10:02 ----------

Let me guess then - will the bus lane be enforced by a camera by any chance?

Can you think of any reason why it shouldn't be?

Council tax isn't spent on highway schemes, all of the money comes from government grant (or occasionally EU grant) in one form or another.

This page on the Council's website tells you al you need to know about the funding: https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/roads/works/schemes/penistone-road.html

---------- Post added 07-06-2014 at 10:02 ----------

Can you think of any reason why it shouldn't be?

Thanks for that Planner - looks like it isn't this project versus the gritting cuts but it's still being funded from your and my pocket through 'national' taxes! Presumably SCC don't contribute directly to any of the funding agencies involved in this project? Funny (not you I presume) - that some folks think 'cos it's from central / EU funds it doesn't matter then? As a point of interest do you / anyone know of any schemes funded locally which seem a bit of a luxury when such a brave and dangerous decision is being made to reduce road safety in bad weather putting kids and old etc at risk when cars and wagons will be 'skating' about?

Thanks for that Planner - looks like it isn't this project versus the gritting cuts but it's still being funded from your and my pocket through 'national' taxes! Presumably SCC don't contribute directly to any of the funding agencies involved in this project? Funny (not you I presume) - that some folks think 'cos it's from central / EU funds it doesn't matter then? As a point of interest do you / anyone know of any schemes funded locally which seem a bit of a luxury when such a brave and dangerous decision is being made to reduce road safety in bad weather putting kids and old etc at risk when cars and wagons will be 'skating' about?

The government gets the money it gives to the Councils for highways work through general taxes.

Like I said, ALL of the money spent on highways in Sheffield comes from government grant, nothing is funded from Council tax if that is what you mean by funded locally.

Would I be right in saying that this plan on Penistone Road was mooted originally a good few years ago and the council have been waiting for the funding to ocme from central government before even beginning the scheme ?

If so then the council have done something sensible for once and not paid out of local government coffers.

But why oh why a bus lane ?

Granted the Morrisons junction needed sorting and extra lanes on the entrance and exit to the dog track road.... the real problem is too many traffic and crossing lights stop starting the traffic and causing the tailbacks into town.

Are you referring to UKIP? It might help if they actually presented a transport policy so we can judge its merits relative to the other parties.

All we have to go on is their last GE manifesto on transport, now disowned by Nigel.

all the parties are usless and liers and i would not trust any of them. there a bunch of criminals.

---------- Post added 07-06-2014 at 21:55 ----------

You missed the fact that there is a contract with Amey to 'do' all the roads and maintain them for the next 25 years?

yes and good but why not leave the ones that dont need doing till the last and consentrate on the ones that need doing.

Would I be right in saying that this plan on Penistone Road was mooted originally a good few years ago and the council have been waiting for the funding to ocme from central government before even beginning the scheme ?

If so then the council have done something sensible for once and not paid out of local government coffers.

But why oh why a bus lane ?

Granted the Morrisons junction needed sorting and extra lanes on the entrance and exit to the dog track road.... the real problem is too many traffic and crossing lights stop starting the traffic and causing the tailbacks into town.

Yes, it's a scheme which has been around for a while, awaiting funding opportunities.

Why a bus lane? Because over a million pounds of the funding is from the Better Bus Area Fund and they kinda expect you to do something to benefit buses with the money!

What a blooming shame ! I loved watching those trees change colour throughout the seasons . They seemed to do so well there . Hope they plant new ones that are quick growers .

I agree. These were lovely trees. Coming past today all I could see were ugly stumps !:confused:

yes and good but why not leave the ones that dont need doing till the last and consentrate on the ones that need doing.

They all need doing.

They all need doing.

yes but some need doing more than others.

I agree. These were lovely trees. Coming past today all I could see were ugly stumps !:confused:

According to the notice boards on the side of Penistone Rd by the entrance

to Owlerton Stadium. 39 trees will be chopped down,and over 100 will be planted to

replace them.

Yes, it's a scheme which has been around for a while, awaiting funding opportunities.

Why a bus lane? Because over a million pounds of the funding is from the Better Bus Area Fund and they kinda expect you to do something to benefit buses with the money!

But from what I have seen, the effect of traffic heading to the Barracks using Infirmary Road rather than Penistone Road due to the right turn ban out of the Barracks will impact upon the tram and the bus services that use Infirmary Road.

The presence of Government funding does not assist SYPTE when they are cutting bus services and concessionary travel