Incidence of Coincidences!

I was asked for directions today from a stranger who turned out to have exactly the same name as me (she revealed this having seen my decorator's van with my name on).

As a family we have also, over the years, ended up on out-of-the-way French campsites next to long-lost friends and the form teacher of our godson...and our children in a N. Yorks village school were taught by a trainee teacher who turned up a year later teaching their cousin in her primary school in Acton, W London.

What's the most striking coincidence you've experienced?

Not so much a stiking coincidence but a few times lately I'll be reading a book and come across quite an unusual word, and its said at the same time on TV. Always a bit weird :)

One night in London, after a few beers, I asked a chap at the bus stop outside St Pauls if he knew whether the number 17 was still running. It turned out the chap I asked went to the same school as me, in Sheffield. The world is not as big as you think...

Oooh, yes..I was once marking some GCSE French exams for the exam board whilst listening to the radio...when they announced the winner of some Wimbledon tickets and one of the winners was the candidate whose paper I had just marked (it was the right part of London and a really unusual name, so it must have been the same person!). That was a bit spooky.

We bumped into an old friend in an ancient hill fort on the Aran islands off the coast of Ireland. Here:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%C3%BAn_Aonghasa

And another time bumped into somebody we knew on a mountain in the Alps at 7,000ft.

Nice to see a friendly face in a strange place!

Our daughter spent 3 months working in a hospital in a remote part of Rwanda...only to discover that the only other European person in the town had lived literally round the corner from her at University in England (but they had never met).

Years ago I was trekking in Peru with a couple of friends..basically we were in the middle of nowhere sat by a dirt road. In the distance we heard the faint sound of an engine and thought..here's our chance of a lift to the next village. Around the bend we were approached by a trials bike. The rider stopped and we all got chatting. In the 80's he lived on the same road as my ex and I in Woodhouse..he went to school with my ex, same class. 7 yrs later I was his best man....still friends to this day, as is the ex.:)

Not so much a stiking coincidence but a few times lately I'll be reading a book and come across quite an unusual word, and its said at the same time on TV. Always a bit weird :)

I am in the process of reading "The Time Traveller's Wife", By Audrey Nifeneger. the time traveller is the same age as me (born the same year), and his wedding date in the book is set on the exact same day and date as I married my ex husband.

Which gave me pause for thought.

---------- Post added 31-05-2014 at 00:09 ----------

I think this series of coincidences that we experience is called Serendipity.... (if I recall correctly)

Both my wife and I have a left foot, might sound trivial, but we both have a right foot too.....

Both my wife and I have a left foot, might sound trivial, but we both have a right foot too.....

Oh my goodness. That's so scary, cos so do I!!! lol

Years ago I was trekking in Peru with a couple of friends..basically we were in the middle of nowhere sat by a dirt road. In the distance we heard the faint sound of an engine and thought..here's our chance of a lift to the next village. Around the bend we were approached by a trials bike. The rider stopped and we all got chatting. In the 80's he lived on the same road as my ex and I in Woodhouse..he went to school with my ex, same class. 7 yrs later I was his best man....still friends to this day, as is the ex.:)

That was my trials bike!

---------- Post added 31-05-2014 at 00:23 ----------

One night in London, after a few beers, I asked a chap at the bus stop outside St Pauls if he knew whether the number 17 was still running. It turned out the chap I asked went to the same school as me, in Sheffield. The world is not as big as you think...

Your post reminded me of this I read a while back.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_Degrees_of_Kevin_Bacon

I had a dream about a hoover salesman, Join this forum and the first peron I seen was cyclone giving misinformation>>> What's the chance of that?!?