"mud bath"used to be a chicken run

just a quick question,i have 4 chickens,they are in a large run,out all day and locked away in coop at night,well with this really wet weather their run has come somewhat a mud bath,what i want to know is this ok or should i be trying to do something to alleviate this? cheers

We used to have the same problem when we kept chickens. One option would be to buy some bark chippings or if you could get hold of some wooden pallets this would lift the chickens out of the mud. Hopefully this rain will stop in a couple of days.

In future is there anyway for you to fix a tarpaulin over the area to try and keep the rain out if heavy rain is forecast?

We bought a cover intended for patio furniture.We pull it over the run in bad weather they hate having to stay in they usually have the run of the garden.

Don't use bark, use wood chippings. Bark will contain mold spores which will cause problems.

A plastic needs to be set at an angle as rain may pool and damage the top of the run, it happened to me! I have set some solid plastic at an angle on a small run I have.

One of my coops with attached run is on slabs. The main field has grass protection grids to stop in being churned up. Use large holes otherwise the poop blocks the holes up. I also use pallets in some areas.

I would love chickens, just need to persuade the other half- maybe we could come home one day and find them in the backyard, lol (used to work with my dad and cats, when I was a kid...)

I would love chickens, just need to persuade the other half- maybe we could come home one day and find them in the backyard, lol (used to work with my dad and cats, when I was a kid...)

you should try to persuade the other half ,because chickens make great pets,we only have 4,they all have names,all have the own personality,they are a pleasure to have,and not forgetting the lovely fresh eggs every day.

The only way is to cover it I think. I use corrugated plastic on mine. Well worth the effort!

Chuck are great pets, as are quails! Unlike most pets they pay you back with love and food!!!